Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will readily admit as to “not” being the most educated beek, but, I’ve not observed this before.

Less than 2 weeks ago, we had a morning lows of a -13 F. Since then we’ve been on a good warming trend. Today, we’re windy with temps in the mid-to- upper 50’s. We have a composting ( veggies, coffee grounds, fruit peels, ect.) area, and I just observed a large quantity of bees actively working the compost. While they are pretty much on everything.....they seem to be most interested in the coffee grounds! We are weeks away from any appreciable pollen. Is this completely normal, or should I have concerns? memtb

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If they are wet, the bees might be after the "water". BTW, is the coffee decaf? If not you will have a bunch of overactive bees. Make sure they have enough sugar. :)

Seriously, particularly if the sun is shining on wet grounds, the bees will prefer warmed-up water to chilled water.

Phil

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the compost is moist....as the snow only very recently melted! Of course, if this darn wind keeps up....it will dry quickly! What’s de-caf? :D memtb

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Are the coffee grounds caffinated, the bees may get overactive and consume more sugar than normally. Just a lame joke.

Phil

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Normal behavior and many posts over the years about this and similar foraging. Why? Nobody knows for sure but it seems to be satisfying a need they have. Most think minerals and water if it is otherwise harder to forage. J

·
Registered
275 Posts
Honey Bees love garbage as do other insects, (yellow jackets, wasps etc..) It's a ready source of minerals and moisture.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I actually bring out warm water and put into a dog dish with stones/sticks for them... they like the water at the edges of the rocks etc on top of their hives too. Sometimes they take the water tho.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I have a gas station about a mile from me. I always check the trash cans by the pump and if I see a bunch of honey bees, I figure dirth (in mid summer).
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is normal activity after a long winter cooped up.

I've witnessed winter survivor bees rolling around in and lapping up a variety of weird stuff, especially compost piles. The most surprising was when they found a pile of used cat litter (which we spread around our gardens), bees absolutely loved the stuff..(go figure)...but only when nothing else is available. They're simply seeking nourishment (minerals, water etc) from wherever and whatever sources it may be around them. So, give them some.

Nothing to be too concerned about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is normal activity after a long winter cooped up.

I've witnessed winter survivor bees rolling around in and lapping up a variety of weird stuff, especially compost piles. The most surprising was when they found a pile of used cat litter (which we spread around our gardens), bees absolutely loved the stuff..(go figure)...but only when nothing else is available. They're simply seeking nourishment (minerals, water etc) from wherever and whatever sources it may be around them. So, give them some.

Nothing to be too concerned about.
Chicken poop yes
Mammalian poop no

1 - 13 of 13 Posts