Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I went through all of my colonies last weekend. There were capped and open drones cells in most of the colonies, but none emerged yet. In Northern Ohio we probably still have a couple weeks to go before swarming. When you start to see Dandelions blooming look for queen cells. Swarms to follow within a week of two.

Our blooms are about a week later than average this spring. I expect to see swarming start a week or so into May.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
We've had a few swarm calls all in the city (warmer). The first good one friday, big massive swarm in a bush. Perhaps a week more for you near columbus. Our swrarm season doesn't peak until middle end of May.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From what I am seeing it will not be long before they start to swarm. Another Beek I know down by Circleville was telling me this morning that he had to split 3 hives due to having capped queen cells. So I guessing about 2 maybe 3 weeks yet.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Andrew,

You are now a little south of me. I saw a drone in one hive yesterday. I have heard reports of another beekeeper with some drones. There are dandelions blooming in protected areas not in the fields. I am seeing fresh nectar in the hives but, that may have all been from a week ago. The 20 degree temps set some things back.

It is probably another week or two before the earliest swarms. Plus, the winter may have been hard on ferral colonies.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts