Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad news. I went into my hive yesterday and there's no brood!! First thing I pulled was a frame about 4 from the side and found the queen. Then I noticed I have no brood at all. Not one single frame has any. About a month ago I had four frames with capped brood in it. What's happened!?

The only thing I've changed was that I put the queen excluder on. Could that have done anything? I don't see how :s

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have they got enough food? Pollen and nectar packed away?

Any eggs on any frames?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
sounds like swarm prep to me. good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Your queen has failed producing eggs. Not even unfertile drone eggs.

Or your queen was superceded and the virgin wasn't mated yet. Or the virgin won't get mated

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they have food. I see plenty of capped and uncapped honey. I see what appears to be a couple queen cups (read:2) but not on the same frame and nothing is in them. I see no swarm cells either. I see no eggs in the uncapped cells.

I'm not headed towards CCD am I?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bees swarm when there is brood. That ensures the survival of the swarm mother colony. It is possible they already swarmed but not that they are preparing to swarm.
So they already swarmed?? Dangit!! I needed those bees for my other hive :doh:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do you use marked queens? If so, is the one you found marked?

If they have swarmed and made new queens, you should see the queen cells that the queens developed in. A yet to be used queen cell just looks like a little bulb usually with a smooth exterior. A used queen cell is elongated and looks like a peanut shell on the outside. At least one of them would probably be neatly opened around the bottom and the others might be torn open on the side. Did you see anything like that? If so, the original queen and probably a good bunch of your bees have found a new home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts