Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found and marked the queen in my split while I was pulling the frames. I feel quite proud. She was a little miffed but just went right back down between the frames when I put her down. If only I could find the one in the mother hive, but man alive, that thing is FULL of bees! I'm guessing she spends most of her time in the upper deep, though, since the bottom seems to be full of nothing but honey and pollen. One of these days..

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm usually good at spotting the queen. I've got one that always eludes me though. got to find her this week cause I'm gonna steal some brood. Hope I have your luck.

Rick

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've spotted this one twice, once in the mother hive, and now in the split. Maybe she likes me? :lookout:

I took a frame of brood from the split and put that in #1, and gave the split a frame of honey in exchange. She's been laying since I started the split and I had to wait for the cell to hatch in #1, so the brood nest is looking pretty empty. I mean, there are a lot of eggs now, but nothing capped. So, I'm making them share. I'm starting to love my brush. I cleared the brood frame and the honey frames with it and didn't get stung, which was the truly amazing part to me.

If I spot the queen in #1, you better believe I'll be here to crow about it. She's a shy one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did give her some time to dry off before you put her back into the hive? I would suggest a plastic curler (one that a lady might wear in her hair at night) as a cage for the queen while the paint dries. I've see that if you put her back into the box before she dries the bees will clean the paint off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did give her some time to dry off before you put her back into the hive? I would suggest a plastic curler (one that a lady might wear in her hair at night) as a cage for the queen while the paint dries. I've see that if you put her back into the box before she dries the bees will clean the paint off.
I gave her as much as I thought I could when I had her by the legs. I blew on her a bit to help dry her off a bit, too. We'll see...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts