Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chickadee's are a common bird in the North. More common that I see them late winter than any other time....flitting around on bushes is not nothing new. I've seen a small group around the past few days...hanging out in some lilac bushes near my hives...they show up around the same time each day flitting around...never really paid them much mind until today....I was out looking at my hives and on this warm sunny 28°F February afternoon, the bees were starting to come out the entrances as the sun hit it and warmed things up a bit...some take flight.
I walked away a bit and was playing with my dog and looked back and noticed the chickadees flitting between the bushes and my hives......they were picking off my bees one at a time as they came out..... I never noticed this before....they know the bees come out the same time each day when the sun hits the hives just right.
It's only a few bees each day I think...but if winter bees don't have enough to try to make it thru the winter, right? :)

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
.... the chickadees flitting between the bushes and my hives......they were picking off my bees one at a time as they came out.....
Can be common nuisance in some yards in winter, actually, when foraging gets tough.
Even pecking at the hives.

Best to not have bees be coming out on every sunny day for nothing but bird food.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have lots of chickadees and have never noticed them near my hives. I will pay closer attention, but nothing you can do about it unless maybe my bird feeders keep them well fed, as well as the squirrels. J

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Birds here seem to delight in eating dead bees, so when I sweep out the corpses from the bottom, I scattered them on the snow for bird-snacks.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you're concerned that the chickadees are eating too many live bees, offer them an alternative like a suet block and seed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts