Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd Question: Are foraging bees hurt when a mower runs through a flowering field?

My neighbor is mowing a big flowering field and I know my bees like to visit that field. I guess I think about them too much, but I am wondering if they're agile enough to flee when the mowers comes up on them?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
My old John Deere exhaust blows forward and clears them out for the most part. New mower exhaust is to the rear, I do slow down on the first pass, the discharge clears most off after that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I try to limit my mowing as much as possible during a nectar flow. There are so many nice flowering things that exist in our yards if we just let them go for a bit. When the dearths start, mow away! I think most bees fly out of the way. They aren't deaf and blind!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I believe the OP is referring to mowing a field which lays the grass down, and is cut about 4 inches from the ground I think in that case the majority of the bees will survive.

If the machine that is cutting the field is of the type that runs the grass through rollers to squeeze it and help it to dry out faster then the bees may be in a little more danger.

Just my thoughts.

Happy Home

·
Registered
10 Posts
I compare that scenario to me standing at the end of a Gulf Coast pier in a Cat 5 Hurricane. Fish food.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

Yes, some bees may get injured or killed by mechanical mowing, depending on several factors, but the worst is what happens to the colony when their major source of pollen and nectar is wiped out after a small fraction of it's natural bloom. They have to have enough food to over-Winter, and if that does not happen, the colony will not make it into the next year, usually having starved out in the late Spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts