Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a first year beekeeper and a few days ago harvested one frame of honey (got excited and wanted some). But the honey is just odd. It was capped so I know it was ready, but it is a very golden yellow (kinda looks like mountain dew or urine) and tastes quite different than other honey I've had. Not bad, just way different. I am a pacific northwest urban beekeeper and I live on a big park. I don't know, I've just never seen honey a light yellow like that or have such a different flavor. Anyone have any ideas? Is this normal? Again, it doesn't taste gross or bad, but just way different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Odd

Hello! I'm a first year beekeeper and a few days ago harvested one frame of honey (got excited and wanted some). But the honey is just odd. It was capped so I know it was ready, but it is a very golden yellow (kinda looks like mountain dew or urine) and tastes quite different than other honey I've had. Not bad, just way different. I am a pacific northwest urban beekeeper and I live on a big park. I don't know, I've just never seen honey a light yellow like that or have such a different flavor. Anyone have any ideas? Is this normal? Again, it doesn't taste gross or bad, but just way different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Odd honey?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
About 1 out of every four years my honey is bright yellow. This is actually my favorite honey so I try to save extra on those years for myself. I don't know what they find differently on those years.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Re: Odd

Different than the pasteurized, homogenized, filtered, adultered syrup you buy in the store? It is probably because you are not blending several frames and supers together. Ah the joys of hobby beekeeping!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Re: Odd

Goldenrod here in north Fl. is very bright yellow. When the bees make wax from it, it is yellow also. If ya go out to the hive and it smells like dirty sox it might be goldenrod. Once it's capped it's delicious. And yes it tastes different from store bought “so-called” honey.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If you heat it to 175 degrees, and mix it 1/1 with corn syrup, it will taste just like store bought. Hope this helps :popcorn:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Striker,

No one can tell you much about your honey without seeing or tasting it. You are the only one that can sample it. So if it`s good, enjoy it. I`ve seen and tasted all kinds of honey. Water white, pale yellow, golden, amber, dark and every variation you can imagine. The taste is always subtlety different to very different. To figure out the varietal you need to know what the predominant species was blooming in your area at the time the honey was collected.

You mentioned you were on a park. Maybe your predominant flower was garden flowers instead of wild flowers. That would certainly make it different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts