Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a letter from the State (OK) Ag Department. Apparently there was a meeting held to discuss proposed law changes to deal w/ the AHB positive finds (remember the news stories a couple of months back) It sounds like this meeting was not very well advertised as in the letter it said that only 17 beekeepers attended. The NEOBA club has more than that at every meeting. One topic was Beekeepers Certifications - they are going to try to get legislators to change the currant law. The letter requested that the letter be passed out to other beekeepers. If you didn't receive a letter the contact person is Doug Dear (405) 205-2699 [email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info beekeeper28. Sounds like
the state is looking for another way to generate income.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I imagined somthing like this would be happening soon here in Oklahoma.

I will be curious to see if and/or when they start up an inspection program and how that will affect us.

By the way, have you checked out the most recent AHB coverage map?:
http://www.oda.state.ok.us/agri-ahbhome.htm

Scroll about halfway down the page.

Hope you all are doing well and didn't get washed away by all this rain we've had.

Steve
[email protected]

·
Registered
24 Posts
I received a response from Doug Dear at the Dept. of Agriculture.

He provided me with a contact number for someone to send me a copy of an older beekeeping law (which is no longer in effect?) for review.

The ODA is looking for input from beekeepers on the new legislation. Just my assumption, but it seems they are trying to make it as beekeeper friendly as possible.

Anyone else here from Oklahoma should contact Mr. Dear and participate if you can. It could make a big difference.

Steve
[email protected]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes a copy of the existing law was included with the letter. i have not contacted Mr. Dear yet. Personally i don't want to have to go through a Certification Program. I don't like to pay any more fees (taxes) than I do already. :cool: We need to make sure they don't try to outlaw TBHs! So OKIE TB Beekeepers be sure to put your input in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a question as to how much input we may have on the upcoming
changes. It seems the powers that be in the Dept of Ag. have a rough
draft in hand at this time. If this is the case I don’t believe we will have
much say in the matter. It has been rumored, although not scheduled, another public meeting may be called in January. I don’t know how many beekeepers are in Oklahoma
What I do know is we are not very well organized. The Dept. of Ag has a
short mailing list when it comes to beekeeping issues and or notifications.
I would suggest we get as many people on this mailing list as possible.
I will be talking to the members of my local association shortly and would hope others across the state would do the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts