Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I will post pictures and video of honey bees and make observations. Dear Reader, I hope to learn from your observations as well, because I really don't know anything at all right now.

This first picture is from bees I gathered on the ground near the three entrances. Some were right under the entrance and I gathered others from further away.

observations on bee biology.jpg

There is one drone, third up from the bottom. There is as strange exoskeleton near the top, looks like a molt. Of course the piece of bark is obvious, the two bees on it are squished and stucked on it.

There do appear to be differences in sizes between the worker bees.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Observations on Honey Bee Biology - Drone

biology - drone.jpg
Start with the basics. The eyes, much larger than worker eyes, the overall size is larger. Two antenna up top.

Details: fuzzy thorax, looks like fur on his middle legs? The fuzzy fur appears to be on the underside a bit of the lower thorax or upper abdomen. The wings have veins running through them. The wings are almost transparent.

It looks like the antenna have been cut short. I suppose it is possible the workers forced this drone out and they chewed his antenna off. Hmmm, this might be bad....

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Exoskeleton

weird exoskeleton.jpg

I've seen several of these exoskeletons, some attached to the outside of the hive. Looks like an insect molt. Creepy. Three times as big or bigger than the bees. Can anyone tell me what this is?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two workers

two workers.jpg

One has ragged wings, I cannot notice anything else wrong with her, so lets assume exhaustion led to her demise.

Looking at the bee on the right, I can't help but notice how beautiful she is. So fuzzy! The fuzz looks like fur, like on the hind legs the segment above the pollen press. That tongue, the nectar drinker. Flecks of pollen all in the fur, even a bit on the eyes.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
worker bee

faerie.jpg

I don't see anything noticeably wrong with this one.
Fuzziness all over the thorax. Fuzziness all over the head.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
View attachment 32318

I've seen several of these exoskeletons, some attached to the outside of the hive. Looks like an insect molt. Creepy. Three times as big or bigger than the bees. Can anyone tell me what this is?
It appears to be a winged insect nymph of some sort. It's as you said, the molt left from emergence. I can't place the type off the top of my head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts