Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a swarm move into a trap I have in my yard that is at eye level. I can safely look into the hive at a distance and observe what is going on. Completely different perspective .
In this hive, the entrance is fully open. I can see a row of about 8-10 guard bees lined up like soldiers on the left side. The right side appears unguarded. 90 percent of arriving foragers land on the left side. When one lands on the right side, several guard bees rush over and surround it. All have been let in and I have not seen any fighting.
I have found this "security procedure" to be pretty interesting. I wonder if all hives operate this way. J

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
J, I get down on the ground and look into the entrances of my hives. What you describe is consistant with what I see as well. The guard bees are literally patrolling the entrance and will challange almost all incomers. Something else that is even cooler is when a foreign bee approches the hive and a guard bee will intercept it in mid air. Fascinating that they can pick out a stranger in a cloud of bees.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have yet to see that JW. Must be something to see. What do you think is going on when they stop a bee, surround it, tussle a little, and then let it pass? I am seeing that a lot. J

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,888 Posts
Guard bee brutality?

Bee Lives Matter!

I see that a lot too. Seriously, some of the guard bees seem to have attitude. Some poor forager is coming back loaded and gets hasseled at the gate. Flys away for 5 seconds, lands at a different spot on the landing board and the guard bee there lets her pass, no questions asked.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol. I thought maybe they were foragers that drifted. They get hassled then they get a pass because they have nectar or pollen as a bribe. J

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,888 Posts
Your view is just as valid, maybe more so. With my hives only inches from one another, I am sure that drifting occurs frequently.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
626 Posts
I have noticed that there is ONE bee guard that seems to Overly clean 1 bee on the board.
On the Right side (my right looking at entrance) there seems to be more fanning and I can't help but wonder if this is where the Queen is? I think it was more in the middle the other day
I can't say if it goes to the Left side fanning as I have not had a full day to just sit, drink and watch the entrance.
But every time I have gotten down to look IN there are always a group of bees looking out, like a row of Bee Eyes lol

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,888 Posts
Sempre vigilante.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Guard bee brutality?

Bee Lives Matter!

I see that a lot too. Seriously, some of the guard bees seem to have attitude. Some poor forager is coming back loaded and gets hasseled at the gate. Flys away for 5 seconds, lands at a different spot on the landing board and the guard bee there lets her pass, no questions asked.
:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts