Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a new BK it is really hard not to want to always look into the hive the check progress. So while surfing youtube I ran across a video talking about the frame cassettes for make comb honey. In this video the guy was talking about and using an inner cover made of Lexan so you can see inside. Has anyone ever done this? Any reason not to do this?
This evening I used and inspection mirror and a light under the SBB to see up from the bottom, couldn't see well because you can't get the light up where it needs to be plus the screen really obscured the view. The clear top cover might be the way to go.

Greg

·
Registered
652 Posts
what type of hive? Bees like it dark, so you don't want a clear cover letting light in, they may leave. it is hard to see much going on with a Lang. hive anyway since the frames block much of the action. you are better off just sitting and watching them bring stuff in from the outside and getting your full looks every week or whatever during an inspection.

you could build a top bar hive for next year with an observation window in the side for more visual entertainment.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Keep it covered or the bees will propolize the plexiglass til you cant see it. Also putting shrink wrap or saran wrap on the glass allows you to quickly restore visibility.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never thought about screen. Oh well the Lexan is already on its way so I will give it a try.

Greg

I'm nosey too, so I use full-screened inner covers. That way the hive stays dark but I can pop the top at any time for a peek without really disturbing them and getting a face full of angry bees.

HTH

Rusty

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm nosey too, so I use full-screened inner covers. That way the hive stays dark but I can pop the top at any time for a peek without really disturbing them and getting a face full of angry bees.

HTH

Rusty

I also have used the screened inner cover for a few years and it works very well.
Dave

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
>In this video the guy was talking about and using an inner cover made of Lexan so you can see inside. Has anyone ever done this?

I have. A lot of people have.

>Any reason not to do this?

It makes an expensive inner cover and it doesn't breath, but it does allow you to see more (at least for a while until it's propolized) and condensation can be fixed by other means (like some kind of top entrance)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It will have ventilation. With only 2 hives its not that expensive. If I smoked and drank I could waste way more on a lot less.

Greg

>In this video the guy was talking about and using an inner cover made of Lexan so you can see inside. Has anyone ever done this?

I have. A lot of people have.

>Any reason not to do this?

It makes an expensive inner cover and it doesn't breath, but it does allow you to see more (at least for a while until it's propolized) and condensation can be fixed by other means (like some kind of top entrance)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts