Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'morning, all. My family keeps bees for a few reasons. Bee products, obviously. We also find them really quite cool (my daughter thinks she should name them- all 200,000 of them). We also keep bees for apitherapy.

As we live in New England, we are just now beginning to wonder what we are going to do during the winter- how will we get bees for venom? Of course, we don't want to be opening the hives in february.

One idea was to keep an observation hive indoors. Is this possible? I actually hope that it may be- certainly give me something more interesting to watch than Everybody Loves Raymond reruns.

Are there other ways of getting bees in the winter?

Thanks for the help-

[ July 22, 2006, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: maxelson ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK- excellent. I am pleased to know I'm not a freak and that this can be done.
Now.
How do I do it? I posted in the novice forum because we are novices at this. Enthusiastic and well educated on the topic, but novices nonetheless.
Any advice on HOW to do it? I'd love to do a perma-setup like the one Ross has, but that will not happen this year. Maybe next when we do some alterations to the house.
Can I get a simple how-to for a simple set up?

Incidentally: Ross- that is the single coolest thing I have ever seen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, dolt, me, for not poking around that site.
Thanks. I'm going to set this one in motion.
Any hard learned lessons you'd care to share? Was it a smooth venture?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
>a smooth venture?
in beekeeping??
you gotta be kidding

actually my first attempt at populating it failed
no doubt due to operator error
I have a nuc going now which I'll probably install next week
that's why I don't have any better pictures :rolleyes:

Dave

[edit] BTW, I based mine on Ross's website
[edit,edit]dig deep into Michael's website, there's a LOT more there than pic's of observation hives

[ July 22, 2006, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: drobbins ]

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
">a smooth venture?
in beekeeping??
you gotta be kidding
actually my first attempt at populating it failed
no doubt due to operator error
I have a nuc going now which I'll probably install next week
that's why I don't have any better pictures"

drobbins:

I am on my third attempt and it looks good so far. I tried last fall and probably started to late, then in Feb. yes (FEB) I put some bees in that I was suprised they were still alive but to no avail.
This try was a nuc that I raised this year and as per advice on this forum I left it by the entrance for a few days before installing in OB hive.

maxelson:

My advice to you is to find a local Bee Keeping Club and see if they have classes on BKing you
will need knowlage of BKing and you will probably need back up bees.
So become a BKer it is a great ride if you get bit by the BUG!
;)

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Easy startup --- Take a nuc about the size that will fit in the OB hive. Set it right in front of the entrance to your OB hive. Leave it for a week or two before moving the frames into the OB hive. The bees will be oriented to that location. When you move the frames into the OB hive, make sure you get the queen and house bees. The rest of the bees will find her and the entrance.

You will need a feeder. The bees will fly on days when it's warm enough. They will act much like bees in outdoor hives, except they don't cluster the same. You can build an OB hive like mine on a stand, wall mount, etc. You can make it as large or small as you like. 3 mediums is about as small as you can overwinter I imagine. 5 would be better. Frames should be the same size as your other hives for convenience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts