Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
observation hive, slider bottom boards, "moat" hive stands - custom acrylic projects

Lot's to pick apart here, just toying around with these projects.
My Florida nuc and hive sources are serious though.

broodhead supplied 2 cordovan nucs, his site is very clean and scientific.
(orange wooden nuc with golden color bees)

T.Stubbs supplied some hives and nucs, the "building hive" has drawn and filled a super in 6 weeks. Went back for more. (3 high stack)

-sliders are for beek hygienic, not too practical
-moat is for ant control, just use mineral oil, but rain moisture is not wanted.
-observation hive needs better ventilation etc,

recent south Florida cabbage palm flow, built this hive very quick.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Re: observation hive, slider bottom boards, "moat" hive stands - custom acrylic proje

That acrylic OB hive is interesting. Never seen anything like that

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Re: observation hive, slider bottom boards, "moat" hive stands - custom acrylic proje

I like the acrylic observation hive. Very neat.

Of course it would fry the bees in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Man, that is cool:applause: How long has the bees been in there? I don't see any propolis,,,,do they tolerate that amount of light? Too bad bees won't work horizontally,,,,,that would make an incredible coffee table:D

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Matt,,,,O.K. Who'd thunk it:D Curious,,,Do you have a coffee table:D:D LOL

Rick

·
Registered
3,406 Posts

I love the idea of a transparent observation hive coffee table. My wife loves it too!

I just don't know how they would make it outside. I can't exactly run a clear tube across the living room to the window.

·
Registered
259 Posts

run the clear tube down to the basement or crawl space and then out. that way no one will trip over it

·
Registered
3,406 Posts

Rental House atm, can't drill holes in the floor.

Whenever I buy a house, then it's an option. Until then, perhaps just a dream.

·
Registered
274 Posts

Love the acrylic hive! would you consider selling one? PM me if so and we can talk.
Meridith

·
Registered
368 Posts

Southeastflorida--Nice OsbHive!

I was going to start one myself tomorrow--real simple, just basically a nuc box made with oak framing the outsides and sheets of lexan epoxied in for all the flat planes of the box, with a access tube and feeder connected to a bottom board with dowels for the hive to slide onto to secure it. But I DO want to watch the bees start building comb, so I was wondering if you'd be interested in selling me several acrylic frame 'ends'. I'd put a wood bar across the top so they'd build off it, but with clear sides I'd be able to watch them build from the side, observing the entire process, but not have to worry about them connecting to the walls and rendering the comb unmovable.

Could you duplicate the end of a frame in acrylic or some other clear plastic? If so, please give me a PM so we can discuss!

Thanks!

·
Registered
673 Posts

Cacklewack;

My wife says "it will never happen." :no: Please, if you make the coffee table, post the photos. :applause:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts