Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not know what is happening. All of a sudden at 5:45 pm I could hear the bees in the O H making noise, checked it out and approximately half the bees are running around and in and out of the tube leading to the window exit, just an hour before I checked and all was quiet, it is almost as noisy as a swarm starting but it is only thirty five degrees outside--the bees are not exiting the tube though. I can only see two larva, three capped cells and can see the queen. Upon close examination I do not see any pollen but there is capped honey, a feeder is in place and they are not using it, any ideas? Maybe the bees are just celebrating new years eve came to my mind.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael, thanks for the reply however it is dark outside and it is also too cold for any type of insect flight. It just does not make any sense as of yet. After fifteen minutes or more of the noise and activity the bees are again peaceful and quiet in their normal winter quiescent mood.

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Could be a tsunami or pending earthquake.
One bee could of passed gas, or maybe one told a joke and they though it was funny.

I have noticed that when my bees exit its almost at a stampeded level. Seems like one bee goes out and comes back and say "it time to go" and they all get excited. Maybe it was a bee just joking and called a "false alarm".

I always wondered if heat fluctuations inside the room would cause a false "lets go", when they feel the temps rise inside the observation hive. Could they just excited and then realize its too cold out, and go back to the way it was...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BjornBee-The observation hive is in my living room at a constant temperature without any unusual disturbance. I was sitting ten feet away reading my new abc xyz of beekeeping when it occurred, even though I am impaired in hearing it was noticable, when I removed the double blanket off the hive I immediately called for everyone here to come and see this, the clear 1 and a quarter inch plastic hose about two feet in length was packed with bees hustling both ways, the glass on the entrance/exit side was covered with rushing bees(resembling swarming characteristics I have seen). This O H has been quiescent since mid November. The opening from outside is only a slit two inches by 3/8ths but the bees were not exiting. This was unusual to me.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
<reading my new abc xyz of beekeeping>

That's what did it. They saw you reading and they're thinking "Uh oh. More managing as soon as it warms up." and they panicked.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey Power Napper,

My OB hive did the same thing about 20 minutes ago. Its about 40degrees and dark out side. I turned up the heat in the house and shortly afterward they got all excited, running around the inside and down the exit tube.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I got home tonight, mine were all in the exit tube, (1 1/2" plastic tube). They were fine when I left, hiding in the tube when I got home. Hmm all this on the same day.....

Whacha think Bjorn, if not a tsumani, maybe an astroid?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well if I did not know better I would think that they are partyin for the new year. Does seem to be quite a coincidence, wonder how many more it happened to?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
if I were a little brown bat, i wouldn't want to fly in december. if i did fly, i would use my mammal brain and doglike nose to find your hive. then i'd land on it (thump - BUZZZ) and start poking around trying to get some guards to come out so i could eat them. in just a few minutes I could eat enough to go back to my attic.

just imagining.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey FordGuy- would you believe that I do have a bat box on each end of my house. The only problem with the brown bat theory is that it would have to have long underwear and a hot toddy to fly tonight, it is thirty four degrees outside. (ahhh my first post of the new year)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Power Napper,

I have noticed this behaviour in the winter if I turn up the heat inside or I tap on the plexiglass and stir them up a bit. They did do it about a week ago without my help but the outside temp warmed up to about 48 degrees during the daytime. They would fly outside breifly and return.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts