Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although it is not an optimal arrangement due to proximity of pollen and other brood, has anyone ever tried using the observation hive to raise queen cells? I think it would be really neat if one could observe the progress on a daily basis. Thoughts?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I doubt it would be strong enough to raise good queen cells, or at least cells yielding good queens ... unless it's so packed with bees it doesn't really allow you to observe anything.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,962 Posts
Having an observation hive raise some queens is educational. However it is not the best way to get a well fed queen. That requires a crowded colony and a lot of resources coming in. An observation hive is unlikely to be able to provide that.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Good queen, bad queen, I think you just might be surprised and she turns out good. But then, I've been wrong more than once. I say do it. I've raised queens in 4 frame nucs, others have raised them in 2 frame queen castles. You might be surprised what they can do in an Ohive. What's to lose in doing it? I think the entertainment and education value of doing it far out weighs any bad results that might happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts