Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting an observation hive for display in my office. The one question I have not been able to answer yet is what to do when the exterminator comes in for the twice annual spraying or our facility? The Observation hive will be 5 deep frames and be wall mounted 2+ foot off the floor. It will be next to a window that can be opened. Does anyone have experience with and observation hive and exterminators?

The exterminator is a nice guy who would decline honeybee calls as they are illegal to kill in MO and KS. He now sends his honeybee swarm and hive calls to me.

Drew

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
My experience with exterminators where I work is that they focus on the baseboards and door ways. Won't be near your observation hive. Go for it!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Only thing I can think of to do, assuming you will have a outside bee entrance, would be to seal off all inside venilation openings.

Some of that spray does leave a lingering odor.

I just spoke to the Mo.Dept. of Agriculture in Jeff. City.
They informed me as I thought, there is No law in Missouri forbidding the extermination of Honey Bees in Mo.
The lady said that some exterminaters in Mo. are misinformed for some reason.
{ this has been discussed on these boards before, also there are no States that currently have any honey bee exterminateing laws any one actually can point too}

Good luck
PCM

·
Registered
359 Posts
Our beekeeping association (Madison County Beekeepers Association alabees.com) has set up and populated and re-populated (several times) an observation hive at our local botanical gardens. The re-populations were necessary (at least on one occasion) because the contracted pest control service sprayed the entrance to the observation hive. :doh: Something you might want to keep in mind if you have an external hive entrance through yuor window.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is No law in Missouri forbidding the extermination of Honey Bees in Mo. The lady said that some exterminaters in Mo. are misinformed for some reason.
I learn something every day. I was going by what both my home exterminator and company exterminator said (different companies). They may believe this considering bees are the state insect for both MO and KS.

·
Registered
447 Posts
A little off topic but I have recently spoken with two former pest control guys one in KS one in MO and they both said the same thing "Bees are protected". I wonder where it came from?

I am sure not going to tell them differently unless they ask, I think many of them don't kill bees on principle.... more power to them.
We beekeepers need to do our best to help them do the best for the bees in every state.

My 2 cents,

RKR

·
Vendor
122 Posts
Hey Drew
I urge caution especially if you have vents in your OH. Most ant killers, although their packages don't list it, have chemicals highly toxic to bees.
Check out my posts "Warning to backyard beekeepers"
and "New OBSERVATION HIVE Video"

And I hope you send your OH experiences and knowlege to "Observation Hive (OH) Enthusiasts'"

You're going to love your new OH. I'd love to hear about your OH experiences and developments.
MARK

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
A little off topic but I have recently spoken with two former pest control guys one in KS one in MO and they both said the same thing "Bees are protected". I wonder where it came from? .........
The pest control guys I have talked to have told me this: They don't do bees because it requires too much work and additional equipment to do it right. Attempts at exterminating a large colony without opening up the cavity either don't work or if they do, the comb and dead bees will make a pretty nasty mess inside someones wall or ceiling, causing the need for expensive drywall replacement and other remediation to clean up the mess for which they could be held liable. Rather than try to explain this to an insistent customer who takes an "I don't care, I just want the bees gone" attitude, it is easier and more believable to tell them that it is illegal for them to kill the bees and they need to contact a beekeeper to get them removed.

I suspect that once several of them start using this tactic, other exterminators who have never done bees hear about it and might accept it as fact since the source of the information is attributed to a reputable competitor. Although, given the training that is required for a pest control license in our state, I am more inclined to believe that they simply mimic their competitor's tactics.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Drew
I urge caution especially if you have vents in your OH. Most ant killers, although their packages don't list it, have chemicals highly toxic to bees.
Check out my posts "Warning to backyard beekeepers"
and "New OBSERVATION HIVE Video"

And I hope you send your OH experiences and knowlege to "Observation Hive (OH) Enthusiasts'"

You're going to love your new OH. I'd love to hear about your OH experiences and developments.
MARK
I'm installing it in my office and the exit will be about 10 to 12 foot high off the ground. I'm planning on taking some before and after photos as I install it that I'll post here.

Do you have a link to "Observation Hive Enthusiasts"?

·
Vendor
122 Posts
Hey Drew
"Observation Hive (OH) Enthusiasts'" is a thread on this bee forum. I'm hoping it will bee a good place to exchange info on OHs.
Looking forward to seeing and hearing about yours. ????
:applause:
Mark

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I forgot to mention earlier... about 25 years ago, I worked for a pest control company in commercial sales. We had an OB hive in the front office not far from my desk. The owner had the the daylights sprayed out of the office (can't have bugs if your business is to eliminate them), we had all the nasty stuff back then - Dieldren, Heptachlor, Dursban, Chlordane,...) The bees flourished those years I worked there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts