Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My colony is thriving and the bees are gentle. However, if I go to the hive to just look and observe without disturbing anything, it seems there is always one guard bee that attacks me. She will bounce off my head repeatedly even when I walk away. I have to get at least 50 feet away for the single bee to stop. This has been going on long enough that it isn't the same bee the whole time but it is always just one. Is this a common behavior? Maybe the color of my clothes (my t-shirts are usually dark). My wife just got chased in as I'm typing. She is wearing dark shorts and a royal blue shirt. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have many more colonies but there always seems to BEE a guard bee around. Try wearing a hat and they love deodorant, perfume and soap fragrances. I have the same issue for years but ignore it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, I often have that "one" bee. I find that if I got them riled up during an inspection, about 3 days one bee will chase me down when I go near the bee yard. After a few days they seem to get over it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
A $5 mosquito net is very handy to have in your back pocket when bees are testy. A hat with a brim and pull the mosquito net over your head.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like everyone gets an occasional over-protective bee.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Carry a fly swatter and get rid of her. It is usually really a single bee, maybe a couple, unless you have a hive that gets riled up easily (I've had one of those too, requeened itself three times last summer).

Dispatch them when they do that, they aren't gonna quit till they sting something.

I find that using smoke properly cuts down on the issue, but you will still get one once in a while that goes straight for your face.

If it keeps happening, I'd find out what is getting them stirred up. Off the honey flow, it's often robbing pressure, so put entrance reducers on, calms them right down. I find that reducers also help with them getting stirred up when I mow, so I'd assume it's robbing attempts that keep them on edge.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I blame it on the father. With multiple drones there are bound to be a few troublemakers. Two handed swat. When the yard gets a little testy chasers can cause a lot more trouble than necessary.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yep, one angry bee after I have been in the hives is fairly common. I slip on a veil and some gloves and applaud her efforts until she flies between my clapping hands. I do this right away because I'm too impatient to wait a couple days for her to settle down.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I have learned to just ignore such annoying bee because, I noticed, she will not sting.
The bees that mean to sting just go for it.
The bees that are simply curious (just as often) or are trying to buzz you off - they keep doing that but don't really mean to die.
I suppose it depends on the level on annoyance.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I noticed, she will not sting.

I have a couple of ears and an eye that beg to differ.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just had one of those critters sting the back of my head in the small area in the back of a baseball cap. I find they are getting rather protective with large honey stores and here we are having rain on and off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I killed one this morning and it has been very peaceful around here now. It went after my wife and she was no where near the hive.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I noticed, she will not sting.

I have a couple of ears and an eye that beg to differ.
Yep, sometimes think I will just ignore her, but I've been hit in ear so many times it isn't funny. Usually the ones that go for my eyes hit quick and don't mess around warning.

My wife bought me a couple of really thin camo-style hat/veils for father's day. The brims are much shorter than a proper veil, and it only takes a second to put one on. I try to keep these handy. They buzz and hit the veil much closer to your face than with a bigger veil, but your brain will learn to deal with that. Thinking a head-butter won't sting and then getting stung is a harder psychological hit. :waiting:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts