Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I'd like to treat for Varroa with OAV; I have 4 hives each w supers. I know most people remove the supers for treatment. But in the past when I've done this I feel like so many bees aren't getting treated (either in the supers or the ones disturbed/flying around).

Anyone keep their supers on for OAV? And- if so, how are you dosing it?

thanks

Brad

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,886 Posts
Brad, this topic has been discussed repeatedly here on Beesource. The short story is that it illegal to use OA when honey supers are present if you intend to extract the honey. That does not necessarily mean that it is unsafe, and thus the ongoing discussion. Best advice at this time is to not do it. I hope that at a later date our fears will have been proven unfounded and OAV will be allowed with supers present. Until then, use the product as labeled.

Besides, even though the foragers may bring in some, it is the nurse bees that are carrying the bulk of the phoretic mites, and they are in the brood nest.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,886 Posts
Just about everything under the sun bee related has been brought up here at some point. If folks did not keep asking some of the same questions, nobody would have anything to say and the site would not be fun and informative. I just did not want to see another debate thread started on this topic as the last one is still active.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Posted another thread on this topic today.

From a standard OA vape treatment, 1 gallon of honey may contain at most, 20-40 mg of oxalic acid.

this is far, far less than a bowl of grits, or a mixed salad.

unless I'm missing something obvious here, OA vape is safe to use as long as it's a standard 2 deep and 1 super setup. If it's just 1 deep and multiple supers, then there's going to be a higher dose of OA in the honey. Even so, even if it was mostly honey supers, apparenlty 100+mg of oxalic acid in 1 gallon of honey is perfectly safe for human consumption.

Never heard of anyone dying from eating too many salads in one day, have you? Mixed salads contain 200+ mg of oxalic acid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts