Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning my winter prep now that I took off and harvested my late summer/fall supers. I started OAV (multiple treatments over 21 days) and have a question on leaving a single super on. I'm doing a top down "hot box" type treatment, built a shim with a hinged top and want to leave it on for the duration of the treatment. We had a good year and the hives are double deeps, still have brood and a big population. I want to leave a super on top of each hive to support the excess population until they die off in the normal reduction of fall. First question-if I use a medium with blank plastic foundation, will it be usable next spring for honey if I treat through it to the lower brood boxes? Second question is I have 7 extracted mediums with good first year comb, can I use them with the OAV and still be good in the spring?

We're still in a pretty good flow here, got about an inch and a half of rain over the last two days as the reminates of Hurricane Delta passed by and the next few days are low 70's F with mid 50's nights. It may start getting into lower temps in 10 days or so but frost is still a month off in normal years. The girls are still working the Fall flow and bringing in pollen, goldenrod and aster still blooming/budding. I'm not expecting any more honey, will leave that on or save for late winter/spring.

Any thoughts or advice?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes and yes.

Oxalic acid naturally occurs in nature, and in honey. It's simply not approved for treatment in honey for human consumption. This means during a flow where the OA crystals would make it into the honey in high concentration.

It likely won't stay on your foundation/comb. It's a rather volatile substance and will either dissipate or be cleaned off by the bees.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts