Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a package yesterday afternoon. The queen obviously is still in her cage. Do most people treat now or wait a few days for the hive to destress and get alittle bit established but still prior to any brood production?

I also have an overwintered hive that could use a super very soon. I will be inspecting it later today if the weather holds up. My question is how long should I wait to install a super after the treatment? I have read they can still move the particles up into the supers after the treatment. I think next year I treat as soon as its warm enough to do so and then still have time for the 3 weeks of follow up treatments every 6 days.

·
Registered
186 Posts
As for the established hive, I would personally wait 2 days to put the super on. That’s only because by that point the oxalic acid powder residue in the hive should no longer be a risk to go airborne when you get in the hive. If you ever open a hive too soon after a treatment and breath in just a tiny little bit of that stuff, you won’t ever want to do it again, trust me on that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hmm, I’m not sure why but the first half of my last reply didn’t show up. I have treated while they are still in the package and after they have brood but before it is capped. I, personally, wouldn’t treat after installation before they have brood. They could still abscond once the queen is released if they decide they don’t like what is going on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts