Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up on making an OA vaporizer. Today I started wondering about: 1. What is left to accumulate in the hive after multiple treatments 2. Do people treat with winter honey supply on the hive? 3. If so is that comb usable in the spring for collecting honey intended for consumption? This is my first year I do appreciate the info

·
Registered
950 Posts
Oa is safe for the bees to consume, but I wouldn't eat it or sell it. Pull the winter frames in spring when bees start bringing in resources. Freeze it till fall for the bees then.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
OA is common in plants like cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts and it's main threat to humans is a slight increase in the chance of developing kidney stones. It's not high on my list of things to worry about.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Easy to just put a piece of plywood/solid inner cover between the brood boxes and honey supers to prevent it getting in there. Officially you should pull the honey supers off before you treat. You really are just trying to hit the nurse bees/brood so better to concentrate that in the brood chamber and not in your honey supers anyways as we are looking for a certain concentration.

OA will crystallize inside the hive when it drops out of vapor form. The bees will 'clean' the hive in short order. You will see them grooming themselves shortly after application and it would be hard to tell you had applied it in a couple days.

OA is in rhubarb that you eat with a higher concentration in the leaves (eating the leaves can be deadly). As with most things, a little as opposed to a lot will make a big difference.

The winter 'honey' is used by the bees during winter/spring to stay warm and make into spring. There really shouldn't be much left in the spring to worry about. For most beekeepers that 'winter honey' is mostly just sugar anyways and really isn't honey that you are going to harvest regardless if you treat your hives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts