Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I treated my hives 4 days ago with OAV after tearing apart some drone comb between boxes that contained numerous mites.. I have 4 hives but only one with a SBB so I am using it as my gauge for effectiveness.

I have been checking the board daily and it is covered with chewed cappings etc so my old eyes have some difficulty distinguishing between hive trash and dead mites but I certainly see live mites crawling around on the board..

Is this A normal result of a successful treatment or should the mites be dead when they hit the bottom board?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I spray cooking oil on the mite boards so the mites don't crawl around (the oil kills them if they were alive when they fall). It makes the counting easier. After I finish counting, I wipe the boards, respray with cooking oil, and put the boards back in the hive for another mite drop. Some people use vaseline to coat the boards instead of spraying with cooking oil, rolling it on with a 3" or 4" roller to spread it evenly.

As to whether it's normal or not, since I use the cooking oil and it smothers the mites, I don't have a problem with them crawling, as far as I know. I would think if they were alive, they die soon after falling, from the OAV. I could be wrong though.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,211 Posts
The OAV should kill the mites, not just knock them down. I usually wait three days then check. I also use the spray cooking oil to hold them. Use it sparingly as any bees that come in contact with the oil will also die. For an accurate mite drop count, I use a desk magnifying lamp, the same one I use to graft with. Those suckers really stand out under 5x magnification.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I have a can of rancid old cooking oil, much easier than the vaseline I used to use. I only put screened bottoms on a few hives. Since they all get the same treatment, that, along with checking mites on the drone brood that gets torn up, gives me enough info.

I find that if I envision little ovals with smooth outlines, my eyes quickly ignore the other dark spots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts