Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hive from a nuc that is in two 8 frame mediums and doing quite well. Still lots of flow in this area. The only issue seems to be that the second box seems a bit honey bound - very little room for brood. I'm planning to add a super and take some of the frames with honey in box #2 and move them up to the box #3 and put some empty frames in box #2 to give the queen some room to lay. My concern is that I've done a couple of OAV treatments, and I always remove honey supers when I do, but the capped honey in those frames in box #2 that I want to move to box #3 has been exposed to OA. Is this a big problem?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
only if you plan to sell them or eat them, and do not put them back...

so move some up to the new box, either remember or mark them or record. in 3 weeks, put them back, by then they will have started some of the new frames. If you have comb add and do not worry about it.

GG

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
I have a hive from a nuc that is in two 8 frame mediums and doing quite well. Still lots of flow in this area. The only issue seems to be that the second box seems a bit honey bound - very little room for brood. I'm planning to add a super and take some of the frames with honey in box #2 and move them up to the box #3 and put some empty frames in box #2 to give the queen some room to lay. My concern is that I've done a couple of OAV treatments, and I always remove honey supers when I do, but the capped honey in those frames in box #2 that I want to move to box #3 has been exposed to OA. Is this a big problem?
We're not allowed to market/trade, etc., honey that's been treated with OA because the government has made rules we need to follow.

If you'd like to learn more about OA and make up your own mind, you can reference this below thread.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sh...safe-with-honey-supers-here-s-my-calculations

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
only if you plan to sell them or eat them, and do not put them back...
This is the unequivocal correct answer.

But now I will equivocate. While I would NEVER sell honey that had been exposed to OAV treatments, I would have no problem eating it myself. There are many long threads about honey exposure to OAV on this board that you can read that get into the rationale behind the mandate to remove honey supers for OAV treatments. I won't rehash them here.

Again, GG is spot on and his advice is your safest bet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts