Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on Oxalic Acid treatment and Supers. I harvested all my Supers and then put the empties back on the hives for the bees to clean up. Went in today and a couple hives already have brood being backfilled in the Supers (I didn’t put QEs back on).

So my question is can I go ahead and do my 4 weeks of OAV treatment leaving the layed up Supers on... or do I stick a QE on let them hatch out so I can remove the Supers - THEN do my OA? Or something else????

Thx

·
Registered
355 Posts
OA is not approved for use with supers on. If you plan on using that super comb for supering next year, let them emerge, take off the super, and then treat. If the combs are going to next year's brood comb, then go ahead with the treatment. Using the queen excluder is a good idea, just make sure she isn't up there when you put it on!

Side note. Try looking at your bottom box and see if its empty. If it is, move it to the top of the brood nest. If the queen is positioned correctly, she should not be laying in the supers.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Slip the QE in (with the queen below) to let them hatch out without more being laid.

I would not sweat doing the OA treatment with the supers on in this context.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts