Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've some oak staves that I've typically been using after fermentation is over, in the bulk aging stage. But am wondering about opinions toward using oak during the secondary fermentation.

Your thoughts? Oak after fermentation or during secondary

·
Registered
185 Posts
if you want to get technical the fermentation is done once the mead is put in the secondary. i hate that term.

i use oak through out the process to get the right amount.

i start by adding chips to the primary and if i do not get enough i will add more post fermentation (secondary). i suggest using restraint when adding because you can add more very easily, but it is very hard to remove once added.

i also suggest sticking to the oak medium you know, i use chips, but when i have used powder and cubes i had problem. because i did not know how to use them and tried to use them like chips.

i also mix my chips toast levels; lets say i wanted to use med toast, i would use 60-70% med toast chips and the rest would be light toast. i do this because barrels are not evenly toasted like chips and the barrel will have many toast levels in the thickness of the stave. cubes do a good job and mimicking this, but take a lot longer to finish up.

like i said just do not add to much, i have never used wooden staves, so i cannot give advice there. but i can tell you when you make "oak juice" it totally sucks and is undrinkable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts