Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody, off the top of their head, tell me the correct # of grams/unit vol of wood bleach to use for a OA dribble? Seems like it was 135 g for a L -- last time I used the commercial stuff.

Also: I just saw somewhere in the Forum that a dribble isn't done during a dearth (in which we still are, I'm pretty sure, in eastern NC). True? I have a weak hive (deep and a medium) that hasn't done much of anything all summer, and it hasn't been treated for varroa since January (!). A treatment may not help, but I doubt it'd hurt.

Thx for any input .....

Mitch

·
Registered
590 Posts
look on randy olivers site.
dribble during dearth will incite robbing.
dribble is best when there is no sealed brood.
get them in one box so they can finish preparing for winter.
apivar...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
look on randy olivers site.
dribble during dearth will incite robbing.
dribble is best when there is no sealed brood.
get them in one box so they can finish preparing for winter.
apivar...

OK, Coal -- as near as I can tell (from Randy's chart), I would use 45 g OA crystals in 1 L of 1:1 sugar syrup. Does anybody take issue with that?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The amount of OA per litter is 35g, not 135g. The colony would need to be well fed before doing the drench, and if you are in a dearth, this could start robbing if you are not careful. The drench it's self should be bitter enough not to cause robbing.

The amount of material to mix to treat only 2 colonies is 3.5g Acid, and 60g sugar in 60ml of water.

45g in a litter of 1:1 is a strong mix, 35g is the medium and 25g is the light strength mix for a drench. All seem to work.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The amount of OA per litter is 35g, not 135g. The colony would need to be well fed before doing the drench, and if you are in a dearth, this could start robbing if you are not careful. The drench it's self should be bitter enough not to cause robbing.

The amount of material to mix to treat only 2 colonies is 3.5g Acid, and 60g sugar in 60ml of water.

45g in a litter of 1:1 is a strong mix, 35g is the medium and 25g is the light strength mix for a drench. All seem to work.
Thx a million, Ark; I don't know where that 135 came from (could've been a disaster maybe).

I think our dearth is supposed to end pretty soon (once the goldenrod starts to bloom), so .... best to wait 'til then, I'd guess .....

Mitch

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The dribble uses a thin sugar syrup to cause the acid to stick to the bees body. The only advantage I can see is the dribble method uses a $1.75 syringe to apply the solution and not a wand to heat the acid.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I just saw somewhere in the Forum that a dribble isn't done during a dearth
per the lable (law) its usually done with no flow "Use only in late fall or early spring when little or no brood is present." to TB LLC's point yes if they are hard up on carbs its ruffer on them, its is suggested to spray package bees with syrup 2 hours before treatment, but if they have good stores in the comb, they should be fine, just like they are with the very common used mid winter treatment.

The only advantage I can see is the dribble method uses a $1.75 syringe to apply the solution and not a wand to heat the acid.
I can think of quite a few more...
Safer for the beekeeper
No need for a gas mask (tho required by law :s)
Much more effective when brood is present in the hive as it kills mites for a week so it kills mites that emerge days after treatment vs the 2 days of OAV
Its effective (can be aplyed) at lower temperatures (tighter cluster) then OAV as its spread by bee to bee contact vs the convextion currents of OAV that just dusts the out side of the cluster

1 - 9 of 9 Posts