Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a OA vaporizer last year using a block of aluminum and two diesel glow plugs. It works good, but won't fit in my five frame hives. so I retrofitted it to a blower/vaporizer , using an older smoker.

I turned the inner can of the smoker insert up side down to created a ledge for the heater to sit on.

Pic of the vaporizer as it was when I made it and then the retrofit.

I can now blow the vapor into the hive.

Glen

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does it work?
Do you get a lot of crystallization on the inside?
Have not used it enough times yet to see any build up. there is a good layer of black soot still in it from when it was used as just a smoker.
I burned pine needles AKA pine straw in it before and that gums up the smoker.
Used it twice now on two hives and will be doing 5-7 hive tonight. Dry runs worked well, tested it a bunch of times into the air. I have a clear extender tube fitted to the end of the smoker that goes into the hive.
Will see what happens with extended use, to see if there is a build up of crystal in the smoker top.
My guess would be that there will be, but that's just a guess!

Glen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Diesel glow plugs in the beehive? I got a diesel and I've got some beehives - but together? No not at my house.
:scratch:

·
Registered
440 Posts
How do you cool down the tray between treatments (or do you) to keep it from vaporizing as soon as you pour in the next treatment?

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Thanks for the post Glen H; sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could add a miniature screw stoker like on a pellet stove and be able to feed more oxalic in as you go from hive to hive like the one Oldtimer posted. Remember me on the stoker if you patent that!;)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Pretty slick Glen, I like it :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you cool down the tray between treatments (or do you) to keep it from vaporizing as soon as you pour in the next treatment?
By the time I pull it from the hive and get the next hive ready to smoke, nozzle read in the hive hive sealed up... its cool enough that when I put the crystals in they are just starting to turn to liquid, but not vaporize. I just shut the lid real fast and jam it into the extension hose.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the post Glen H; sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could add a miniature screw stoker like on a pellet stove and be able to feed more oxalic in as you go from hive to hive like the one Oldtimer posted. Remember me on the stoker if you patent that!;)
Sounds cool. I'm thinking of making something else when I get back from holidays after next week that uses a small 12 volt computer cooling fan to blow the vapor into the hive. May even just put the fan in the bottom of the smoke?!?!?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
If you are going to market this thing you should call it the B-Mity IED. (Improvised Effervescing Device)

B safe. Hope it works well.

When I saw the pictures of your mods all I could think of was a massive pile of mites singing that late 70's ELO song reflecting on whats going through their minds as they meet the master of their demise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9nkzaOPP6g

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are going to market this thing you should call it the B-Mity IED. (Improvised Effervescing Device)

B safe. Hope it works well.

When I saw the pictures of your mods all I could think of was a massive pile of mites singing that late 70's ELO song reflecting on whats going through their minds as they meet the master of their demise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9nkzaOPP6g
Don't bring me down "Grroosss,"

Glen

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I inhaled some of this when the wind changed direction on me. Bad Stuff! While the Idea is cool, it would be way to close for me to want to use. I light a smoker and leave it next to the hive. I watch it like a hawk, stand upwind about 30 feet and hold my breath when I walk up to turn the vaporizer off.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I inhaled some of this when the wind changed direction on me. Bad Stuff! While the Idea is cool, it would be way to close for me to want to use. I light a smoker and leave it next to the hive. I watch it like a hawk, stand upwind about 30 feet and hold my breath when I walk up to turn the vaporizer off.
That's why I wear a respirator face mask, 40 bucks from the hardware or safety supply place..
That way you never need to leave it unattended ine fits nicely under my bees jacket vail.
Also it's NOT used
Like a smoker it doesn't just sit there idle in the open releasing vapor like or smokers do.
It's loaded with OA and used when the vapor stops exiting the vaporizer smoker it is pulled from the hive put into the next. Hive and loaded.... It never sits There smoking away beside me waiting to be used.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts