Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
This has been discussed in previous threads where if one does a treatment and then counts the mite fall the total bee population can be estimated on frames of bees and therefore the mite fall extrapolated to percentage on the bee population the big difference is that you have killed that percentage instead of just killing that percentage on 300 bees. However in the end just keep on treating until no more mites fall then you will have no mites in less time than the time taken to sample or count fallen mites.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes that's what Ive been thinking I just couldn't find much info in it in other threads regarding estimating the percentage of "infection"... I plan on starting my treatment regiment in about 2 weeks. When I did a vaporization about 3 weeks ago my worst hive was a full double deep 10frame with 15 mites dropped

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Jeets with your figures at 1,500 bees per frame and 20 frames you would have 30,000 bees in that hive. Divide 30,000 by 100 then 1% would be 300 mites. But only 15 dropped divide 15 by 300 and your phoretic mite count would be 0.05% but as you have brood and that 0.05% is only 1/5 of the mites you can multiply by 5 and the total mite infestation of the hive would be 0.25%. This will vary with the amount of full frames of bees in the hive. for full medium frames I estimate at 1000 bees per frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts