Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year to use an OA Vape. I inspected my 9 hives April 2nd all double deep colonies, all had eggs, larva and capped brood. I had commenced vaping cycle March 27th - April 1st - April 8

Weather was poor for most of April and I did a thorough inpection today. All 9 colonies regardless of size have eggs only, with a couple showing very young 'c' larva - no capped brood. Two of the larger colonies with several drones from the previous hatch.

So it appears they all stopped laying around the same time - their existing recruitment matured and all started to lay again within the last 4 or 5 days?

can this be linked to the OA vape? seems to be the one link with the hives outside weather. This was over two yard locations as well.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I would say that would be quite normal for some bees to lay their first batches periodically especially with colder weather. If your bees lean more to carniolan rather than italian genetics also could make a difference. How they are insulated/wrapped makes a difference and pollen stores or whether you feed also figures in.

On the north shore of Lake Ontario can be pretty cold and windy in March and April. I have never noticed OAV to halt brooding. Formic, yes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say that would be quite normal for some bees to lay their first batches periodically especially with colder weather. If your bees lean more to carniolan rather than italian genetics also could make a difference. How they are insulated/wrapped makes a difference and pollen stores or whether you feed also figures in.

On the north shore of Lake Ontario can be pretty cold and windy in March and April. I have never noticed OAV to halt brooding. Formic, yes.
Thanks Crofter, I had not been aware of any issues this way with the Oa vape so yes, cold wet up and down this april.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts