Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen people saying it works and some that say it doesnt work.I tried it last summer to killed mites but it just didnt seem to do as good as a wand does.Well I tried it again last week and used a clean sticky board.Well it killed mites sure enough but I did see something I didnt want to see.I had a single story hive with a good amount of bees with lots of brood from eggs up to capped and the queen had just started laying like gang busters.What I didnt want to see was two whole frames of young brood all dead.Nothing spotty like EFB or other stuff.After that die off all the new brood is alive and healthy.This looks as if the OA fogging has killed the young brood.I have since did an OAV on the same hive and had only one mite fall in two days.Fogging looks like it worked but I dont think I will risk a brood die off like that again even if it kills mites.I was wondering if any others who have tried the OA fogging have seen a brood die off like this.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks for the reply snapper1d, that is deffinetly good to know. did you use the fogger with vodka,mineral oil and soy lecithin, or the 190 proof stuff, or ?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used 190 proof.I never thought to even look last year when I tried it.When I did the fogging this time after two days I looked at the sticky board and then looked at the brood frames being just curious and wholly cow I have never seen whole frames of dead brood like that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I always read that oa never kills bees or queens, but have never heard it could be hard on capped brood, do you think this is why they say do aov treatments at time of no brood? or could it be the alcohol killing the brood?

·
Registered
48 Posts
It’s the ethanol killing brood not the OA Ethanol is not good for bees, for that matter it is not good for man. OA have never harmed my brood. OA has been used for twenty years without harm. Now ethanol is another story, place alcohol on a bee and the bee dies immediately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts