Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing's ever simple; I want to do an OAD treatment one of these days using the basic commercial wood bleach. I was going to merely use the usual # of g per 1 L to mix. A local Ag Extension agent told me, though, that I would have to dilute the "standard" amount if I use the OA from one of the products sold hereabouts -- he wasn't sure of the calculation. Checking online, I wasn't certain about the videos I saw: hard for me to follow, or seemed to be like the as-always amounts you see when you buy an OA packet from a bee supply store.

Can anybody direct me as to how to do this? I see the containers of bleach on sale for ~$12-14. Fine. But I don't want to acid-fry The Girls. :eek:

Thx for any guidance/suggestions/cautions re: this ....

Mitch

·
Registered
109 Posts
There are detailed instructions here: https://honeybeesuite.com/how-to-apply-an-oxalic-acid-dribble/

I used this method last year, late August / early September. Three treatments at one-week intervals. I got 50% survival come spring, FWIW. also FWIW: for the first two treatments, the bees were calm. For the third treatment, they were angry and very defensive. Maybe they had had enough of me; maybe something else was going on.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
If you got some lab grade anhydrous OA you would have to change the ratio by 7/10s but its fairly rare compared to the more common wood bleach

you want "Oxalic Acid Dihydrate"
you can look up the safety datasheet on most manufactures web sites to be sure

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you got some lab grade anhydrous OA you would have to change the ratio by 7/10s but its fairly rare compared to the more common wood bleach

you want "Oxalic Acid Dihydrate"
you can look up the safety datasheet on most manufactures web sites to be sure

OK, thx; I'm pretty sure it's the dihydrate ("Savogran 10501" -- ordered via Amazon and not here yet; I don't see the specs on the photo I rec'd of the little bucket). We'll find out .....

Mitch

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
FWIW, I use the Savogran product (and always have, since before approval). I use it at the same rate/per box as specified in the bee-product variety, when I do OAV. I called Savogran a few years ago and was told it was 99% pure OA.

Nancy

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW, I use the Savogran product (and always have, since before approval). I use it at the same rate/per box as specified in the bee-product variety, when I do OAV. I called Savogran a few years ago and was told it was 99% pure OA.

Nancy
Appreciated, Nancy --exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Mitch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts