Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

NYS over wintered nucs

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Cloverdale 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I am starting to look for over wintered nucs for 2015 in NY. Are there any recommendations of where to buy from? Thanks, Deb

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Maybe where you live, McBee7, but not in NY or anywhere in the East where I have been. A nucleus colony (nuc) can vary in number of frames, but nucs commonly offered for sale here in NY are 5 frames of brood, bees, and honey.

You are running a nuc as a hive, a 5 over 5 over 5 "nuc"(?). Some people run 8 frame equipment. Seems as though you are running 5 frame equipment.

Wait until cold weather gets to where you are and all of those bees will fit nicely in your 5/5/5 nuc/hive.
Any suggestions Mark ?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Suggestions of where to find nucs next Spring overwintered in NY? Maybe Bob Brachmann from down in Chautauqua County,NY . We need some beekeepers like Michael Palmer here in NY. Maybe if you Posted a quiry on ESHPA's Facebook page, you might get a response.

If TBH nucs are your thing, Sam Comfort is your source.
Thanks Mark, it sounds like BetterBee would be good if they have M.Palmers bees. Bob B. sounds good also being that he has Russians. I'll ask on the Facebook page of EPSHA; I like to see what is out there. :)

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Easier said than done and people have to want it and someone has to set things up. Some clubs couldn't care less about eshpa or being communicated with. From my experience. ESHPA can't serve the needs of all beekeepers. Not if those beekeepers don't want to be active members of eshpa.
Agree. With a "but".

Discussion starter · #16 ·
We people are so imperfect and have such high expectations of others; there is always an exception, always a "but". I personally don't care for "buts", but they are always there. Some excuses "buts" are valid. Mine is that I cannot drive far at night, so I miss out. One of my husbands jobs is at night so he can't drive me. The ESHPA sight looks great, keep up the good work. Deb
PS I think I will buy from BetterBee, Michael Palmers bees. I have a Sam Comfort queen so hopefully that will winter over well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.