Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I ordered a few honey gate valves and would like to install them on a large 5 gallon plastic bucket. I'm worried the flat gate valve mounting surface may leak when attached to a curved bucket.
Has anyone tried this? Will my valve not leak if I tighten it up enough?
Thank you!

·
Registered
Survivor stock & Buckfast in Langstroth 8F’s
555 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
Survivor stock & Buckfast in Langstroth 8F’s
555 Posts
They are made by the same company, make sure to leave a little clearance when drilling your holes, and yes check with water, before use, but they will work. They will take some tinkering with to get setup, but not to bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have pictures of the honey gates you purchased? Did they come with O-rings?
This is the style I have. I'm not home so can't take a picture of my actual valve, but it's the same one found on eBay by the thousands. They do have an O-ring on the attachment side.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are made by the same company, make sure to leave a little clearance when drilling your holes, and yes check with water, before use, but they will work. They will take some tinkering with to get setup, but not to bad.
I could use a square bucket, but I'd rather not as the square bucket doesn't have a very good lid seal vs. the round buckets.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have pictures of the honey gates you purchased? Did they come with O-rings? I purchased some like this, and they worked quite well no leaks, but you have to get the O- ring centered.
They look exactly like those orange ones, but are milky white. They do have a big(ish) O-ring on the mounting portion.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,540 Posts
mount the valve about an inch up in the bucket so you can flatten the plastic a bit when you tighten down the valve. With the valve near the bottom, the bucket will not bend to flatten out and will not seal well.

I have a few square buckets, they were more expensive, but the gates seal to them well. You can get good lids for them also

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mount the valve about an inch up in the bucket so you can flatten the plastic a bit when you tighten down the valve. With the valve near the bottom, the bucket will not bend to flatten out and will not seal well.

I have a few square buckets, they were more expensive, but the gates seal to them well. You can get good lids for them also
Oh my gosh! That's perfectly logical! Geometry!
The square bucket lids don't have any rubber in them. The round ones have a really nice fat gasket. I get both from a bakery department. They're free! Speaking of which...I need to take them some honey!
Thank you Elmer_Fud!
Thanks to everyone who responded! I appreciate this forum and all on it!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Elmer is correct about the position. The closer you locate them to the bottom, the more rigid is the pail sidewall. I use a heat gun to soften the plastic and pre flatten the area before drilling the hole. Rag and boiling water if you dont have heat gun.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Some come with just a O ring for a washer but some where I located some flat rubber washers that were the proper size.
In addition to mounting up the sidewall away from the bottom:
Make sure the hole is the exact size.
O ring/washer goes on the inside.
Tighten from the inside first,then tighten from the outside as much as you can.It may take a few trys to get the proper position so that the gate opens up.
Test with water

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yea, I cut a hole too close to the bottom, it leaked and a bucket was wasted. The bottom of my valve is 2.5 inches from the bottom of the new bucket and does not leak.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Elmer is correct about the position. The closer you locate them to the bottom, the more rigid is the pail sidewall. I use a heat gun to soften the plastic and pre flatten the area before drilling the hole. Rag and boiling water if you dont have heat gun.
That's a really good suggestion. I would like to place the valve as near to the bottom as possible. Heat will help with the conforming of plastic to the valve.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some come with just a O ring for a washer but some where I located some flat rubber washers that were the proper size.
In addition to mounting up the sidewall away from the bottom:
Make sure the hole is the exact size.
O ring/washer goes on the inside.
Tighten from the inside first,then tighten from the outside as much as you can.It may take a few trys to get the proper position so that the gate opens up.
Test with water
I'll have to check on the placement of the O-Ring, I thought it went on the outside. I've placed one valve on a square bucket but am going to install another valve on a round bucket. I thought the gasket went on the outside! I'll go back and relocate the gasket. Thanks!

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,540 Posts
I'll have to check on the placement of the O-Ring, I thought it went on the outside. I've placed one valve on a square bucket but am going to install another valve on a round bucket. I thought the gasket went on the outside! I'll go back and relocate the gasket. Thanks!
You want the o ring on the outside if you can. With the O ring on the inside thinner liquids (probably not so much with honey) will travel along the threads and leak out. Most threads are not a fluid tight connection between the male and the female threads.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You want the o ring on the outside if you can. With the O ring on the inside thinner liquids (probably not so much with honey) will travel along the threads and leak out. Most threads are not a fluid tight connection between the male and the female threads.
That does make sense...the liquids going along the threads. As the valve is now, there is a nice recess for the gasket against the valve portion.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,540 Posts
That does make sense...the liquids going along the threads. As the valve is now, there is a nice recess for the gasket against the valve portion.
yep, this is also the reason that you need thread tape on most fittings that are not flared or do not have O rings/seals

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I bought some like that, they do not leak at the bucket. They do, however, leak at the flap or paddle or whatever you want to call it. They have o rings there as well but they still drip honey. You can get them to stop sometimes if you tighten both screws so tight the gate will not work. I plan on buying better ones.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought some like that, they do not leak at the bucket. They do, however, leak at the flap or paddle or whatever you want to call it. They have o rings there as well but they still drip honey. You can get them to stop sometimes if you tighten both screws so tight the gate will not work. I plan on buying better ones.
Aww, future disappointment. I ended up putting one in a square bucket & one in a semi-square, semi-round bucket.
I'll buy either a brass one or stainless steel one next time.
The round bucket I didn't like how high I had to place it to make it stop leaking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts