Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's a pretty interesting study, especially with the reward and punishment training and then the test. I found this section interesting:

In each of the four tests, the bees performed at a level that was significantly different from chance. In the addition (same direction) test, the bees chose the correct option of 4 in 72.1 ± 3.20% (mean ± SEM) of choices (z = 5.05, P < 0.001; Fig. 2B). In the other addition (opposite direction) test, the bees chose the correct option of 4 in 66.4 ± 2.69% of choices (z = 3.81, P < 0.001; Fig. 2B). In the subtraction (same direction) test, the bees chose the correct option of 2 in 63.6 ± 2.89% of choices (z = 3.17, P = 0.002; Fig. 2B). In the other subtraction (opposite direction) test, the bees chose the correct option of 2 in 67.9 ± 3.66% of choices (z = 4.13, P < 0.001; Fig. 2B). There was no significant difference between the performance of the bees in any of the four tests (z = −0.887, P = 0.375), demonstrating that the bees performed equally well on all tests.
That's pretty impressive, clearly not random--and consistent for each individual bee. This means that with the exception of one subtraction test, bees test at nearly 70% on their arithmetic. This means that bees are C students rather than Bee students. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'll see myself out now. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts