Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I went to perform a cut down split yesterday in Buffalo, NY. I noticed that there were very few numbers of open brood or eggs. There was plenty of capped brood, honey, and pollen. Open brood was limited to maybe one 4 inch diameter section on two frames. I went ahead and tried to do a split anyway leaving some of the open brood with the capped brood.

I'm wondering if there are any rules of thumb for performing a cut down split regarding the number of open brood?

In this situation did I perform the split too early, too late? How much of a benefit is there really going to be in terms of no longer having to take care of such a minimal amount of brood?

-Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
47 Posts
Brian,
I can only speak to my area but I think since im much south of you, that you did the split t oo early. Im considering a cut down split here in md since our flow here starts in a week or two. Everything is delayed 3-4weeks due to a longer winter. Also you only take open brood because they won't hatch out in time for peak flow but dont forget to leave 1 frame of eggs when you take the queen.
Good luck!
Kelly

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Sounds like they are about to swarm. You can give the new split some emerging brood to help them out. One of the concepts of a "cut down" is the "cut down"--meaning you remove at least some of the brood boxes and crowd the bees up into the supers. So however you have to do that, give the new split a box worth of combs. Some can be honey and pollen and some can be open brood and fill the rest in with what you have...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello everyone, thanks for the response. Some remarks that might be helpful.

Kelly: That makes sense. You might find some flower based benchmarks informative regarding my region.
The Dandelions have been in full bloom for a week or two now. The tulip and daffodils have also been out for awhile. Pear, Cherry, and a number of other trees are in bloom, but I couldn't tell you their names. Basswood isn't out yet, but If I remember correctly that comes out much later in early summer.

Michael: Your remark about swarming was my intuition as well. I filled in the split with frames of mostly pollen and honey that I pulled out from the parent. I did put an empty super on the parent. There was some capped brood tossed in the split as well since it was on the same frame as the open brood.

I imagine everything will work out fine at the end of the year. Just had some general curiosity about how everything worked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts