Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Had some down time today and started thinking about my current project. Now I am depressed. I set a goal to expand my small operation this year and started to build equipment. A local lumberyard has 1 X 12 barn siding for .25 a foot so I bought 2000 ft. After some rough calcs I decided to build 100 tops and bases . this will leave enough wood for aprox. 200 deep boxes. As of today Ive built and assembled 65 deeps , 35 tops, 100 bases and cut parts for 2000 deep frames and 2500 shallow frames. The frames are not yet assembled and the shallows for the honey supers will have to wait. The lumber pile is still quite large so I decided to try to quantify the job left to do. My operation uses double deeps and usually 2 honey supers will be enough as I concentrate on pollination more than honey production. SO I counted the number of cuts needed to build a complete hive, 2 deeps ,1 top ,one base,2 shallows and all of the frames needed to fill them. 503 trips through the saw ,planer and the jointer. (never could find a use for the router). This does not account for the gang cutting, but rather all the cuts for one part multiplied by the number of the parts needed. If I complete my goal I will need to trip through the saw 50,000 times. NOW my back hurts.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Got dat right I would like to find some for .25 ¢ a foot :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the great price prompted this whole project. I bought the whole pile. It looks like 2 X12 that were resawn so the thickness is just a hair under 3/4" and one side is not smooth. I have been building with the smooth side in to let me scrape them clean easier.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Lazy me would put the smooth side out and let them girls have the ruff side :lpf:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used to make my frames but after wearing 3 saws in 40+ yrs now only build boxes and lids bottoms. takes a life time to expand. frames too cheap to build
Don

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
We also build all our boxes, lids, and bottoms. I buy frames....to much work involved when I can buy them cheaper than I can cut them myself.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My frames are all bought, but my covers, bottom boards and hive bodies are all made by me..... A little cheaper than buying them, and I like to work in the shop.:)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I read somewhere (doncha just love it when someone starts a comment like that? :lookout: ) to put the rough side in, as it gives the bees a better binding surface for when they coat the walls with propolis. Can't verify the validity of that though... although when I have some rough spots, I tend to put them inside.
Regards,
Steven

1 - 9 of 9 Posts