Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

How many baits are required per electric bear fence? Is one bait good enough per yard, or is baiting all four sides of the fence preferable?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I always do all four sides and bacon lasts for ever , also I cut regular bacon in half of its original length and use a clothspin to hold it on the wire .

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Bacon is too good to waste on bears! Get a can of the cheapest tuna, pink salmon, sardines etc., and wrap about a teaspoonful up into aluminum foil packets which can be folded over and squeezed / hung onto the wire strands. Sniff, snap, gone!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I have an apiary in bear country that is surrounded by an rather cheesy electric fence it is not sturdy enough and I am not sure the charger will detour them unless it comes in contact with someplace sensitive like their mount or nose. Right now the bear have no idea where it is. what can I do to lure them to where I keep my bees in hope that every bear in the vicinity come while I have bait their to taste so they will be able to get a shock before thy grow their heavy winter hair.

For some reason that just does not sound right to me. what about the bear that do not find it when it is baited?

Why not build a proper bear fence from the get go with a quality fencer that is suited to detouring the target species. And be done with it. I have plenty of bear here and I have never had but one get to my bees. After that I made sure I had proper fences. If I was going to try to get away with a cheesy fence I certainly would not try to lure a bear to the site!

WGI_0029.jpg
WGI_0023.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts