Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently one of my neighbors called me about bees that are on his driveway. It seems that he gets bees on his gravel driveway up by his house and when he or his family walk across them they get stung occasionally. I've been up to see what's going on and it seems the bees are there up until the sun heats up the gravel. He has some locust trees along the driveway and about three or four weeks ago we had a big wind storm and the trees dropped leaves and flowers. The residue of this drop is still on the driveway along with moisture from whatever rain storm has come through. I've watched the bees and they don't seem to go to any of the puddles that are on the driveway they just go over the gravel and plant residue.

The closest any of my hives are to the driveway is at least 500 ft. Both of my bee yards have water available through ponds, small pools and watered gravel. So water for my bees isn't the problem. Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If the driveway gravel is limestone as most are, the bees are after salt.. Sounds strange but I have had a bunch do me the same way at my father's next door. Bees were always on the gravel, that is till i put out a salt lick for them. Now they visit it, instead of the gravel. Bees will find what they need wherever they can. Test the thought and make a salt lick for them by moistening salt and cake it. Then put it near your hives out of the rain. They will find it and use it. Another way to tell they need salt is when they dive bomb people sweating outside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a new one for me. First I didn't know bees went after salts and then I didn't know they could find it on a limestone drive. I wonder if a salt block down by the hives would solve the problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts