Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in the souther tier of ny, elmira-binghamton area...looking for good place to purchase nucs from as i think my first year from pkgs. arent gonna make it....would like to know who, where and how much thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
Try:

Ford's Honey Farm
Gary and Terry Ford
1883 Castle Road
Newport, NY 13416
315 891 3339
315 868 9381
www.fordshoneyfarm.com

I purchased 2 nucs from Gary in late 2008 (mid July). One didn't make it through the winter, probably because there wasn't a lot of time to build up. The other is entering its second winter. It superceded the queen in the Spring (2009) and is strong. Good bees, not too aggressive and (I swear, I am not making this up), I have NEVER detected a single varroa mite in the hive. I run sticky boards in late summer to determine what the varroa loads are for my hives. My other hives all have some varroa. Never have seen a single mite in that hive. I can't explain it - it is just the way it is.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
There is a gentleman in Erin NY, just west of Elmira (I think) who is a member here, "Joel" who probably has NUC's available next spring. Look him up on Beesource. If he is too far west and you are closer to Owego....PM me and I'll help you.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
three establish 'yankee' beekeepers who you might wish to contact are Joel, sqkcrk,(both from new york state) and michael palmer (upper vermont I think????).

·
Registered
668 Posts
couldn't u find any in ND?
LOL - I have family in New York (grew up in Troy). I was actually driving right past Gary's on the Thruway. Early summer 2008, my wife and I moved to ND from OK - my one hive died in the move. We went to NY for a visit right after the move, so I found Gary and picked up the nucs on the way back (my wife is VERY understanding)!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks folks ill try joel....he's right over the hill from me actually...never even thought of him lol:thumbsup:

·
Registered
668 Posts
I should hope so. But I can't believe that you couldn't find any closer to home. I'm glad Gary could help you out.
Well, we had just moved to ND. I didn't know anyone and most of the guys around are commercial. They don't really do much with selling nucs or bees (at least the ones that I know).

I didn't want to lose the whole season for lack of bees, so I started looking for people along the route on the way back. That is how I found Gary. It was fortunate - I used that hive to make winter hardy queens for my other hives now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts