Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I get some input, I have 8 hives four hives I put new packages in and four hives I put NUCs in. The packages have been installed for about four weeks and the NUC two weeks. The NUC are doing so much better about 7 Frames have been filled with comb. The packages on the other hand are not progressing as fast. The questions I have will the packages catch up and if they will how long before they will be full strength

Thanks

Jay T

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
The packages will be behind for several weeks until the number of bees catches up. Package bees dwindle for at least three weeks until new bees emerge. It is 21 days from when the egg is laid until the bee emerges. The nuc also has drawn comb. The package bees are required to consume lots of sugar (4 to 14 pounds) for every pound of comb produced. They have to festoon as the sugar is turned into wax scales. A little later the new bees will be mature enough to forage. All that activity requires time and resources, so your nuc bees are at a serious advantage. Dollar for dollar frames of brood are the better value!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts