Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've searched the forum, but can't seem to find a thread that addresses the methodology of "growing" 5 frame nucs to 10 frame Langs. Such as the manipulation of the nuc frames and the how/when/where to add additional frames to compliment expansion. Unfortunately, don't have much drawn comb to work with.

Love to hear everyone's "favorite" way to do this. My ultimate goal is to grow from 5 hives to about 100 eventually. Ordered up 10 nucs (5 each from two different sources) for this spring to start the ball rolling. Hoping to work these into as many over-wintering nucs as I can by the end of our northern NY season. Like to eventually start raising some of my own queens/drones to make my own nucs. I'm at the dangerous stage - more time on my hands, few years experience, and a little bit of knowledge. Already invested in enough woodenware to put together 100 double-deep, double-medium 10 frame Langs. Hoping to use divider boards to utilize my 10 frame equipment to make 5 frame nucs.

Thanks in advance for a hardy discussion.

Steve

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi

I used to work in a bee supply factory and I met a lot of people who wanted to get into bees really fast.

My advice is to no more than double per year. If you are going to try to over winter nucs, certainly overwinter some full strength colonies as well.

There is a skill to overwintering that isn't found in books, and it isn't here at BeeSource, either.

You have to learn it. You can't learn to drive a car except by doing it. Beekeeping is the same thing. Trust me on this one!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
To actually answer the question, you can leave the bees in the nuc box for a while, but try to get them out in a week or two. I would put them in the center of the ten framer and flank it with whatever frames you have.

They may not work on them right away, but I have seen too many times where people don't put in all the frames and then they don't get back in a timely fashion. Then they have a bunch of wild comb to contend with, which is mainly a waste.

Once the bees are finally working on frames number 9 and 10 (the outer two) it's time to super up. They would build faster with drawn comb, but what can you do?

The whole feeding issue is one that starts a flame war. If conditions are real good, you may not need to feed at all. IF you decide to feed, I suggest a gallon glass jar, inside an empty super (no frames) inverted over the hole in the inner cover.

Feed two or three gallons and if the weather is good they should be good to go. If the weather is crumby, don't stop feeding or they may start going down hill fast.

My opinions, your mileage may vary

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peter,

Thanks, I agree 100%. Fast growth is not part of the plan (been tinkering with bees for more than 20 years) that's why I only ordered up 10 nucs, not 100. I just want to try to stay ahead of the 8 ball and this forum has served me well in this regard.

Boy, you hit that nail on the head about overwintering. I've experimented a bit (and continue to) and know what didn't work for me. My current system is working and it helped save a neighbors colonies too. So, for my little ecosystem, I think I have an overwintering formula I can be comfortable with but always on guard to adjust as necessary.

Any advice on working these nucs? Most of my experience is working with swarms.

Steve

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peter,

Thank you. Good point on the swarm gangbusting. I never made the connection.

Steve

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is a picture of my son and I placing a 4 frame nuc into a 10 frame box. After I cut the comb off of the nuc lid and rubberband it to a frame there will be a five frames in a 10 frame box....Dumb things that ones does. How can you to forget to put all the frames in a nuc?

·
Banned
141 Posts
I stumbled upon a great thread while looking at some from past years (2006?). It was about 7 pages long and dealt with producing and wintering nucs. Mr. Palmer shared a lot of his knowledge on the subject.
If anyone should happen upon it please 'BUMP' it. I've tried to find it since but no luck. :scratch:

·
Banned
141 Posts
Thanks Barry.
That's not it. I've tried the search option but no luck. It had several posts by M. Palmer. He was in a chatty mood and was giving away his trade secrets on making and wintering nucs. :applause:.

I got engrossed in the thread and failed to make note of the thread title or date, my bad.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I stumbled upon a great thread while looking at some from past years (2006?). It was about 7 pages long and dealt with producing and wintering nucs. Mr. Palmer shared a lot of his knowledge on the subject.
If anyone should happen upon it please 'BUMP' it. I've tried to find it since but no luck. :scratch:
I might have found it. See recent bump of Wintering Nucs. Is that it?
Mike

·
Banned
141 Posts
Thanks Micheal, but that's not it. I'm beginning to feel bad for bringing it up.
The thread I remember also had contributions from a woman in Maine (?) who was using your techniques with good success. It appealed to me because of your northern location.

Now that I've built it up, I hope it's as informative as I remember :doh:

When I stumble across it again I will bump it up.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even if these posts weren't exactly what 123456 was looking for, they are both VERY helpful. Thanks, Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts