Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference between nucleus colonies, splits, and divisions? Whats the advantage of making a nuc over splitting a hive? I understand that a nuc is made of brood, honey, and pollen comb and so is a split, but other than selling purposes why wouldnt you just place the split or nuc in a full size hive body? Also, how do you keep a nuc from swarming? Some beeks overwinter them, are they nucs made in the Spring or Fall? Sorry if this is to many questions at once but the learning curve is killing me! But is hasn't killed my hives yet,(keeping my fingers crossed :))! Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
514 Posts
Making a nuc is the same as a split. When you split a hive you take 4 or 5 frames of brood honey and pollen. A split can be put into a nuc box or a full zize box. A nucleas colony is just that. I small part of a whole. Sometimes you don't put a nuc in a full zize body body becaue your using it as a mating, or if you are letting it raise its own queen. The less room the less to protect. You can ussaully make a nuc as long as there is enough time for it build up. In the spring you mak nucs by splitting. In july I pan on making 5 single nucs by taking a frame of brood and adding a queen. The nice thing about nucs is that if you looose a queen you can combine the nuc to the queenless colonie to make it queen right. Also you can nuc your colnie for the winter. Istead of 10 hive you can have 20 or 30 nucs. The survival rate can be somewhat lower but there is more of them.

I hope I was able to anwer your questions.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Nucs,splits,divisions- All means basicly the same except the nuc is just smaller. Nucs and splits are made by dividing a hive or hives then giving them a queen, queen cell, or eggs for them to produce a queen with. Nucs are kept from swarming by managing them to prevent them from swarming.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
In the spring you mak nucs by splitting. . The survival rate can be somewhat lower but there is more of them. .
Nucs can be made any time there is brood present(but not neccassary).

Just because they are in a nuc doesn't mean they have less of a chance of surviving.

·
Registered
98 Posts
MJ, please don't stop asking questions, others like me that know nothing, and trying to learn all I can need that info, especially while waiting for my two nucs coming in the spring.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beeslave, When you say (managing the hive) would that be replacing comb full of brood with new frames of foundation?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
When you say (managing the hive) would that be replacing comb full of brood with new frames of foundation?

Managing a nuc to prevent it from swarming involves giving the nuc room to grow. If you leave a nuc in its box, it will swarm because it outgrew the box. Give it room to expand, such as putting the nuc into a full size hive body.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Or taking the surplus(brood,pollen, honey, and/or bees) from the nuc and giving them empty drawn comb or foundation. The surplus can be used to start more nucs or be given to any other colony that is in need of what is being taken from the nuc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts