Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought three Nucs from Kelly Bees {Mann} , April 17. I checked them when I got home, and two had at least 2 frames of brood, and one had around one. All three had three starter frames. but no pulled comb. The queens were supposed to be marked, but were not. I found the queen in one, and she was really nice. After a couple of weeks, I transferred all three to a hive body. The one I found the queen in, really expanded, to over 5 frames of capped brood. I made sure I didn't roll the queen and closed them back up. Today, I checked it again, there were a lot of bees, no larva, no capped brood, no queen that I could find, but a queen cell which had hatched a queen, and they were tearing it down. I buttoned it back up and will check it again in 14 days.
The second one, when I inspected it a couple of weeks ago, had several queen cells but I did not find the queen. Six days ago, I was at my hives, and on the side of this hive was a queen, and a bee was chasing her off. I caught her put her in a queen cage, stopped it up with a marshmallow and put it in the hive. Today I checked it and she was released, Hopefully they didn't kill her.
The other hive, which was weak , because of not much brood, is still weak, but starting to build up, with some capped brood. Hopefully they will get stronger. I think it's to soon to judge the queen. These are all Russians. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks, OLD KENTUCKY

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,803 Posts
if you have other bees, give then:
a frame of stores partially filled honey and pollen,, low population has a harder time foraging, so this would be a boost.
if not worried about mite/issues, a frame of brood with adhering bees would help as well
if you would rather not add the frame, make an incline of a cloth or small piece of plywood in front of the hive shake a frame on it. the nurse bees would crawl in the field bees would fly off as they have oriented. add in some population.

if no flow there, also feed a bit to get comb drawn and simulate a flow. Russians can slow brood if they perceive a dearth.
reduce entrances if larger hives are around to prevent robbing.

then sound like they were a bit lean on bees, a NUC to me would have at least 4 frames of bees and brood out of the gate.

GG

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you have other bees, give then:
a frame of stores partially filled honey and pollen,, low population has a harder time foraging, so this would be a boost.
if not worried about mite/issues, a frame of brood with adhering bees would help as well
if you would rather not add the frame, make an incline of a cloth or small piece of plywood in front of the hive shake a frame on it. the nurse bees would crawl in the field bees would fly off as they have oriented. add in some population.

if no flow there, also feed a bit to get comb drawn and simulate a flow. Russians can slow brood if they perceive a dearth.
reduce entrances if larger hives are around to prevent robbing.

then sound like they were a bit lean on bees, a NUC to me would have at least 4 frames of bees and brood out of the gate.
Thanks, yes they were very lean on brood. I am going to fee sugar water, and try and get them built up. I don't know why I lost two queens. Both were building up the hive very fast. OLD KENTUCKY
GG

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The one I found the queen in, really expanded, to over 5 frames of capped brood. I made sure I didn't roll the queen and closed them back up. Today, I checked it again, there were a lot of bees, no larva, no capped brood, no queen that I could find, but a queen cell which had hatched a queen, and they were tearing it down.
Classic path from hiving a new nuc that swarmed once those frames of capped brood emerged and they found themselves short on drawn comb for the population.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like some sorry nucs. Should be 3 frames of brood in all stages, 2 frames of stores, all drawn comb.
I agree. I have bought Nucs in the past, and these were the worse, I have every bought. I am going to call Mann, and ask them to let Coy know that some customers were very disappointed with the nucs. OLD KENTUCKY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts