Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am perplexed. I have two nucs which I started in July with purchased queens. Both were started in a drought / dearth and have been fed 2:1 syrup via bottles, both started with identical, 5-frame deep NUC setups. One has just out performed my expectations. I had to add a medium to increase over-winter volume and the colony continues to consume 2:1 and seemingly still growing ( we have had snow and a freezing couple of nights).

The mystery is the second nuc. It expanded slowly while taking syrup. I thought " not enough nurse bees". Then the queen paused laying and started up again with possibly a two-three week break. I was shocked when I discovered this and thought was this a possible supercedure but I did not see queen cells? The strange part is the colony stopped taking 2:1 syrup after the pause - in a dearth ( caused by drought conditions). The colony is active inside, not lethargic, some flights seen with foraging, cleansing likely (on what I have no idea). It appears stronger going into cold weather with no apparent food source. ( I know the answer - her big neighboring colonies are generous and feeding them - RIGHT!). I have 9 strong colonies at winter weight (syrup feeding), no apparent robbing and these two contrasting NUCs were started at the same time. And the syrup is not cold but I am installing a thermometer to measure syrup temperature. I checked bottles for plugging -up and even changed bottles with a new batch of syrup. ( The other nuc takes everything - strong entrance activity.)

Has anyone experienced something like this. Ideas?

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
Robert, you got 1 good queen and 1 not so good queen.
or the weak hive has some sort of a challenge.

At this point in the year let it ride, add the combs from the dead queen to the other one in the spring, she will need them.
Combining now has risk to the good hive.

GG

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robert, you got 1 good queen and 1 not so good queen.
or the weak hive has some sort of a challenge.

At this point in the year let it ride, add the combs from the dead queen to the other one in the spring, she will need them.
Combining now has risk to the good hive.

GG
I agree about combining. Not so sure she will be dead come Spring but will watch closely. I would guess, if she is alive, adding frames with bees will be a big help, come Spring.

I had a Spring cluster no bigger than a golf ball come Spring in a well insulated hive. That was last year and she produced harvesable honey the same year. Much stronger and moe productive this year. I think she may have been a late supercedure.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
I agree about combining. Not so sure she will be dead come Spring but will watch closely. I would guess, if she is alive, adding frames with bees will be a big help, come Spring.

I had a Spring cluster no bigger than a golf ball come Spring in a well insulated hive. That was last year and she produced harvesable honey the same year. Much stronger and moe productive this year. I think she may have been a late supercedure.
A supercedure is also an option. I had one supercede 2 times and barely get enough stores in.
if you are insulted , agree, may work out and survive.

Purchased Queens are not what they used to be. So it can very well be a supercedure.

GG

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd just leave the both of them and watch...and learn.
Bees know more about being bees than we do.
You never know, your problem girl may turn aout to be a real winner next year

1 - 7 of 7 Posts