Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in SW MN and I'm scheduled to receive my two new 4-frame nucs today. No problem, right? Well, it wouldn't be, except that we're forecasted to have a snowstorm today (I know, it sucks) with about 6 inches of wet/sloppy snow expected. After the snow stops, we're expected to have several days where the temperature barely breaks 40 degrees. The weather should straighten out again by next weekend with temps in the 60's.

My question is, would I be better off leaving the bees in their nucs for a couple of days until the weather clears up a little bit, or should I get them into their hives right away? How long is to long to keep them in there? I think the nucs should have a frame feeder in them as well, so I would be able to give them a little bit of food. Their hives have hive-top feeders, but I'm concerned about them getting wet and chilled when I transfer them from nuc to hive.

Thoughts?

Snowbound in Minnesota
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,135 Posts
The answer really depends on how much stores are on the frames. Foundation instead of comb, you will need to feed them and that might work best in a full hive. Other than that take it easy on yourself and wait till it is nicer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Leave them in the nucs. They will be fine. If they're in waxed cardboard you might consider putting a piece of plywood over the top of them. Other than that I would put them into their new hives next weekend when it's warm. Best of luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,713 Posts
They will be fine in their original cardboard boxes for a few days. Don't succumb to the temptation to put them in a garage or you will be surprised how quickly they will come to life.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top