Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about building 12 or so nuc boxes to add to the 3 I already have. The ones I have are 4 frame. Is there an advantage I'm not thinking of when it comes to making 5 frame boxes versus 4 frame?:scratch: I would use some of them for selling nucs and thought maybe try using a few for popping in frames with swarm cells when I find them.:eek: I don't really want to tie up a lot of my standard gear as it would get expensive real quick.
The difference in lumber would be minimal, just the cost of an extra frame and foundation.
What's the preference?

Perry

·
Registered
386 Posts
I prefer 5 frames. Maybe it is just because that is what I got used to though. I think it is just whatever you want or prefer.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have all five frame and like them. I think the biggest thing here is keeping everything standard and interchangable. If you already have 4 frames I would stick with 4 frame. One thing I tried and hated was turning a ten frame into a double 5 frame. I only made one of these last year and sold the two nucs. When I tried to empty the first side it was a *****. All the clingers had to be gentally swept out the small enterence. The second side was simply a jarring shake but that first side ...............................

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Two 4 frame nucs sit side by side on top of a 10 frame box if you want to overwinter nucs on top of a 10 frame hive like Mike Palmer does.

5 frame nucs give you 25% more comb. A 5 frame nuc full of bees will become a booming hive a little faster than a 4 frame nuc full of bees.

If you are wanting to sell nucs, find out what your customers want. If they want 5 frame nucs instead of 4 frame nucs - you want to know that beforehand.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have both 4 and 5 frame nucs. I really like to have both around. Why? When I decide to make a split, I just split 5 and 4. I also am able to choose which one based on the size of a swarm. Largers swarms, obviously, would get the 5 frame nuc.
My first nuc boxes were actually all 4 frames. They were a full brood chamber cut right down the middle. Then I took a flat piece and nailed it on for the outside wall. A super easy way to make 2 nuc boxes. I ended up making 5 frame nucs for easier splits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts