Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone is advertising 5 frame nucs for sale.Should I buy one now or wait until next spring. This is a local ad and its in south mississippi

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I'd be waiting but I'm up here. Not sure about your area. You might be fine. I'm sure there's someone in your area who has a better sense of how a nuc would fare....

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
$90 is the price of a package of bees in spring, so if you are not a newbee, but know how to take care of bees to get them through winter, I'd go for it. Here in coastal VA, I can usually get 5 frame deeps through our mild winter, as long as I keep tabs on the food stores. They take off like a rocket in the spring.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
i think with the mild weather down there on the coast it wouldn't be too difficult to see them through the winter papa.

legally you are not allowed to bring a nuc into alabama from another state like mississippi without getting a health certificate in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
try reaching out to psm1212 who is located near you in covington county. he may be able to help you find a trusted source for bees as well as have advice pertinent to keeping bees near the coast.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
$90 is the price of a package of bees in spring, so if you are not a newbee, but know how to take care of bees to get them through winter, I'd go for it. Here in coastal VA, I can usually get 5 frame deeps through our mild winter, as long as I keep tabs on the food stores. They take off like a rocket in the spring.
I am 60 miles west of Ruth and echo her thoughts on this. $90 for the nuc and another $10 in sugar for winter feed and you will have a 10 frame double deep bursting with bees by the end of April for half the price of an overwintered nuc purchased in the spring. The risk is minimal if you practice good beekeeping.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would go get them and feed them good. You should not have any trouble getting them thru winter. I will be making more 5 frame splits next week and will take them thru winter. You will have to feed them some this winter but that should not be a problem with the winters you have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think with the mild weather down there on the coast it wouldn't be too difficult to see them through the winter papa.

legally you are not allowed to bring a nuc into alabama from another state like mississippi without getting a health certificate in advance.
I live on the al ms state line and have a place in ms that I could put them

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
S
o all beekeeping is local and it's awesome that local talent chimed in. It's not about what you get. It's about what you do. If it were me, I'd grab them, grow them and grin about my hard work paying off!

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
$90 is about half of what a good 5 frame nuc goes for these days. they are certainly more valuable early vs. late in the season but the skeptic in me wonders why so cheap?

if the queen was produced late in the season and if she got mated well, then she'll being coming into her prime for next spring's build up. you could probably do a 50/50 split in early march.

if the nuc was made up with bees brought in from out west and split up after pollination i would be a little bit leary about purchasing them.

if it is a local producer making splits from home grown colonies i would have less concerns, especially if you happen to know other beekeepers that have purchased there and have been satisfied with what they got.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts