Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 5 nucs that are wintering. I've been reading about the need for ventilation.
Questions....
1. Can I just drill a small hole in the front or back of the nuc?
2. Should the hold be drilled at an upward angle to keep water from entering? Will this still allow air to flow?
3. I'm assuming I should also screen over the hole to keep "bad guys" out?

·
Registered
508 Posts
You can put something under your top lid so that air can circulate. A lot of people use popcicle sticks. You shouldn't have problems with robbing right now unless you have a couple unusual warm days.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael,
Do you mean that I should use only a top entrance or an additional small top entrance?

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I see that some of the 1" upper screened vents in my nucs have been propolised almost closed.

·
Registered
850 Posts
As long as you have one small top entrance you'll do fine. Cross ventilation can be bad in a windy cold spell.
Be mindful that MBush is in NEbraska and you are in Alabama.... you may not have bad windy spells that are like what Nebraska gets. I use a shim with a notch for ventilation in the nucs.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I see that some of the 1" upper screened vents in my nucs have been propolised almost closed.
Mine do that too with the notches in the shims... not almost closed, but they make the notches smaller with propolis. I figure they know what kind of size hole they want

1 - 8 of 8 Posts