Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here in Nova Scotia, importation of bees is quite restricted. I know people recommend starting TBH's from package bees, but I'm finding it difficult to find any bee suppliers who offer packages up here.

So I have to deal with transferring a nuc to the TBH.

Has anyone tried connecting the nuc to the TBH via a hose or something; forcing the foragers to got through the TBH to the entrance? My TBH design has a hole drilled high on one side and two thirds of the way back to allow for more ventilation and another small entrance if required. I could see routing the bees out of the nuc through a hose and into that opening...

Would this work to slowly transfer the bees? Or is it more likely to result in more trouble than it's worth?

I just hate to have to cut up those frames and mess around with jamming comb into the TBH...

Thoughts?

Adam

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
could you slide the top cover back to make room to just set the nuc, minus bottom board, on top of the top bar hive? The bees might expand down into the TBH? Then you could eventually take the nuc off, perhaps even filled with honey later in the year?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Adam

I began last year with four Langstroth hives and tried creating a top bar in early spring. I stole a queen with three pierco frames from one of my Langs and put them in a TBH using bars with popsicle sticks. They worked the frames, built burr comb and failed.

I made another attempt with a queen and a dump of worker bees. They clustered in a corner and also failed. I don't think I took enough bees.

A little later I grabbed a swarm from one of my hives. They built out perfect comb on the same popsicle sticks and went into winter with at least 1-1/2 dozen "frames". I haven't checked them yet this year and truly hope they made it. If so, when spring is established, I'll split and feed as many times as I can before next winter.

I also have a top bar nuc and plan another to bait with lemon grass oil and be ready for the next swarm.

Mike Bush and Dennis Murrell got me started through their crush and strain extractor. Bees are fun, but at 300 bucks for an extractor, honey even at the hoydie toydie stores is cheaper. BTW, no cranking with their extractor. My latest addition is a 5 gallon bucket on a 12' telescoping paint stick with lid that pulls closed by a cord as mentioned by Mike. I'm hoping this will help capture a swarm without climbing a tree.

I wish you luck. Please share if successful.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've seen this video. It depicts the process I'm hoping to avoid. It may not be feasible, however...
As long as your bees are reasonably quiet (a water mist spray helps if they are not) the transfer is actually pretty easy. It helps to have an assistant who is good with pruning shears.

If you don't want to do it, just shake them all in, cut one comb containing brood to shape and put it in the new hive so the nurse bees have something to do. They will soon start building new comb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me preface my comment with the fact that I am a newbee also:

My method is to build a TBH that is the width on a standard hive, and use topbars in a standard hive, beside the nuk frames, to get them started before transferring them to the TBH.

Any thought on the feesability of this method, before I start cutting...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I keep thinking about making my tbh's square so the the nucs would fit. I read that it doesn't effect the comb attachment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I suppose it would work for a while...as I hear it... the reason for the sloping sides is to discourage attaching to the walls...bees will attach to the sides, but not so much the bottom...by angling the sides it fools them into thinking the sides are actually the bottom.

I know they will attach bottom bars from upper stories to top bars in lowers bodies.

I may just go with a long hive...using the standard frames...mainly I am looking for a NO-LIFTING method of beeking

good luck...whatever you decide...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts