Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my first nuc two weeks ago. I added a queen cell that was hatched by day 4. I kept an entrance feeder on it with only about a square inch opening left for the bees. I opened the nuc yesterday to find it full of maggots. I am concerned that I was not careful enough to get a good amount of emerging brood when I made the split. Since there were obviously not enough bees to fight off the flies....thats the way I'm leaning. Could the entrance feeder have helped in my demise? Any advice on how to prevent this next time would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Shake more bees in with that nuc with out the feeder.. Presto

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yes....I'd say you have SHB larva hatching out. Are your frames slimed out? I'm also a new beek. Also did a split recently only with mated Queen. The SHB hatched and within days had the frames so slimed out the bees did not want to even hang IN the box. They were clumped up above the inner cover and hanging out on the outer cover eave in a clump. I tossed the frames aside to try and clean later, added two brood frames from another hive, and an empty halffilled comb and two empty frames. Probably not enough but its all I had. While cleaning up I noticed a ball of bees on the side of the box and spooned them on up and over into the box and gently seperated it and I could swear I saw what looked to be the queen but it was getting dark and it was down in the box. So.....got my fingers crossed and will probably end up trying to feed em some 1:1 sugar water. Got my fingers crossed but not my hopes up.
As for your entrance feeder....Like B1 said.....yes...this time of the year robbing from other hives is really bad and the entrance feeder will only draw them to this weak nuc. In fact that type of feeder is just no good. Look on youtube under FatBeeMan No Leak Feeder. It's contained within the hive so not as accessable from bees outside your hive. That and a Robber Screen for the front entrance to the hive. There are plans on this site for the robber screens and look simple to build.
Good luck...My hats off to those who split and sell nucs for part of their living. It's not as easy as they make it look on the videos!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts